Why can't I add live radio stream urls to a Playlist?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why can't radio urls be added to a Playlist? 

29 replies

It can't be added to any speaker.  It is added to the system. It will work with any Sonos speaker.  Why do you think otherwise?

Because by their very nature, radio streams are not like a playlist.  Example: When is the “playlist” containing a radio URL supposed to switch to the next entry on the playlist? 

I have just checked and I cannot see the option to add a radio station any more. It was there a week ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This could get complicated! 

I'm using ZP Controller app on a Galaxy watch to control playback.  This has Playlists as a category.  It doesn't have a My Sonos category.  So there's no way to control a radio stream without first starting playback via a sonos phone app.

Wouldn't it be possible to have named Playlist files with just one url entry, eg. NDR EINS.? 

I'm using ZP Controller app on a Galaxy watch to control playback.  This has Playlists as a category.  It doesn't have a My Sonos category.  So there's no way to control a radio stream without first starting playback via a sonos phone app.

Wouldn't it be possible to have named Playlist files with just one url entry, eg. NDR EINS.? 

So Sonos should enable a function that makes no sense so the user of an obscure, 3rd party, unofficial watch app can work around the fact they don’t list My Sonos favorites?  How about you write the ZP folks and ask them why they don’t support favorites? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If I create an m3u file containing the stream url and then access it as an imported playlist, maybe this would work... 

Found it. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/add-an-internet-radio-station-to-sonos

The option seems to be greyed out in the desktop controller but is available in the mobile app. 

Whether this will appear in your unsupported third party app is another matter 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So Sonos should enable a function that makes no sense so the user of an obscure, 3rd party, unofficial watch app can work around the fact they don’t list My Sonos favorites?  How about you write the ZP folks and ask them why they don’t support favorites? 

I have contacted the app author.  

Why be so argumentable and sneering about this? 

Because requesting things like this is silly entitlement at its worst.  Read the room, dude. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Which room? And don't call me 'dude', dude. 

You really are intent on making a impression with fellow users with your helpful and supportive attitude. 

Thank you for your advice. 

I still don’t really understand why you are asking about adding radio streams to a playlist.  (Sorry, I read your original post as Playbar rather than playlist. Doh! 

But playlists are for tracks, not continuous streams. If you had a playlist consisting of several tracks then a radio stream then more tracks, you would never get to the later tracks.  And a playlist that consisted of just one entry rather defeats the purpose of a playlist.  Conceptually, a playlist containing a radio stream makes no sense to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I still don’t really understand why you are asking about adding radio streams to a playlist.  (Sorry, I read your original post as Playbar rather than playlist. Doh! 

But playlists are for tracks, not continuous streams.

Well, I created a single entry pls file which plays the stream url with VLC. 

So, next step is to get the pls file over to the music library, and see what happens. 

It's all a bit of a faff.  Of course, it would be easier if the galaxy app had a My Sonos category, but it doesn't, so my need for a workaround.

Is there any way to just create a native sonos playlist with an editor?  Need to check that on Google. 

Well, I created a single entry pls file which plays the stream url with VLC. 

So, next step is to get the pls file over to the music library, and see what happens. 

It's all a bit of a faff.  Of course, it would be easier if the galaxy app had a My Sonos category, but it doesn't, so my need for a workaround.

Is there any way to just create a native sonos playlist with an editor?  Need to check that on Google. 

I added a bit more to my previous post, although I don’t think it will add much value as far as you are concerned!

I have no idea what other approaches you could take, but it seems to me that you could spend a quite a bit of time on it for a minor gain.  Or most likely no success.  But that is entirely up to you, of course.

@castalla,

What App is it on the Galaxy watch, that you referred to earlier in the thread?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But playlists are for tracks, not continuous streams. If you had a playlist consisting of several tracks then a radio stream then more tracks, you would never get to the later tracks.  And a playlist that consisted of just one entry rather defeats the purpose of a playlist.  Conceptually, a playlist containing a radio stream makes no sense to me.

Agreed, except in this special case of ZP Controller

I read up on sonos playlist editing, etc.  It's a minefield!  Seems many users are frustrated by the sonos playlist feature. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@castalla,

https://galaxystore.samsung.com/geardetail/yS5Npf8TAR?langCd=en

@castalla,

https://galaxystore.samsung.com/geardetail/yS5Npf8TAR?langCd=en

I tried to see if there was an android version, or some info. on the App, but can’t find anything that may assist you - I’m surprised it lets you play a Sonos playlist, but there’s no additional access to the ‘My Sonos’ tab to play a saved favourite station. Anyhow I hope you sort it - I’m not sure I would bother, as there must be other 3rd-party apps that will let you achieve the outcome you’re looking for.👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So, the pls file loads and plays via Imported Playlists.. But there's no obvious way to convert the pls file to a sonos playlist file. 

I recall some online playlist converter program which I've used many moons ago to convert Tidal playlist to Spotify.  Perhaps there's something similar for converting playlist files to sonos format?

Use an *.m3u playlist (just a plain text file with that extension) and add that to the local music library and index it ..and then perhaps save a shortcut to it as you would a playlist from your local library and see if it works.

See attached image from my Sonos indexed local library (stored on my NAS). I’m just not sure if it will work for you.

Your first post can easily be interpreted as an expectation, rather than “I know what I’m asking for makes no practical sense, but I have reasons”  Sort of like asking “Why won’t Sonos let me have 6 surround sound speakers?”

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

My pls playlist plays but is only accessible via Musiv Library - Imported Playlists.  The galaxy app only shows sonos playlists.   Grrr. 

At the moment, it looks as if its not possible to convert other playlist formats to sonos. 

I've not had any reply from the app author... 

I suspect the same issue will afflict the new IKEA symfonisk gen2 remote which has a playlist button.  Sonos playlists only. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Your first post can easily be interpreted as an expectation, rather than “I know what I’m asking for makes no practical sense, but I have reasons”  Sort of like asking “Why won’t Sonos let me have 6 surround sound speakers?”

It makes sense to me.  All I did was ask why it isn't possible to add a single stream url.  For example, It's possible on LMS and on the Hiby R2 network player.  I accept it isn't possible on Sonos as it now stands. 

Thanks to all who replied in the spirit of cooperation. 

It makes sense to me.  All I did was ask why it isn't possible to add a single stream url.  For example, It's possible on LMS and on the Hiby R2 network player.  I accept it isn't possible on Sonos as it now stands. 

Your watch app should allow you to select a favorite.  That is the correct answer.  This is how I’ve seen it handled on other 3rd party apps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Your watch app should allow you to select a favorite.  That is the correct answer.  This is how I’ve seen it handled on other 3rd party apps.

It should but it doesn't.... It's the only app I've ever found for the Galaxy watch. 

It should but it doesn't.... It's the only app I've ever found for the Galaxy watch. 

Time (pun intended) …to change the watch then, maybe?