Answered

Why can I no longer connect to My Cloud Home music library?

• 19 February 2023
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Out of the blue my S1 (Sonos 11.7) system stopped connecting to my music files stored on my 3TB My Cloud Home Service.

The drive is functioning, I can access and play files from my iPhone

Before it stopped connecting completely, I noticed it was becoming quite slow to search files using the App. Now all I get is the ‘Unable to browse music’ message.

Is this another prompt to get me to ‘upgrade’ to S2? 

icon

Best answer by beynym 23 February 2023, 07:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

My Cloud has likely updated its firmware and stopped supporting the SMBv1 protocol required for S1 file access. Check with My Cloud support. Maybe they can suggest a way to enable SMBv1 support. Older SONOS players don’t have enough hardware resources to support anything beyond SMBv1. SONOS was caught between a rock and a hard place. There are unresolvable security issues with SMBv1. SONOS had to move on or become irrelevant. Newer players that support S2 can use any current version of SMB. NAS manufacturers and computer operating systems are attempting to encourage migration away from SMBv1 by throwing roadblocks. Sometimes the roadblocks can be resolved, sometimes not.

Hard drives don’t last forever. I treat them as an already cracked egg. If your My Cloud is a few years old, I recommend replacing it with another product -- a product that (reluctantly) supports SMBv1. It would be a messy process, but you could potentially re-use the hard drive in a different shell. If you take this route, be sure to backup the files before repurposing the drive. Hard drives are so cheap at this point it would not be worth the trouble for me.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The drive is actually only a couple of years old. I got it to replace a SeagateMedia drive which corrupted. It’s taken ages to retrieve and replace my audio library and recreate playlist and now I’m back to square one. It’s only the fact that I have a Sonos Connect which doesn’t seem to be S2 compatible which has prevented me from upgrading. I’m now worried that all my playlists won’t migrate to the new system

If you follow the upgrade to S2 instructions, SONOS Playlists will migrate. If you have a change of heart and attempt to go back to S1, the setup will not migrate. Before you migrate to S2, power down the CONNECT.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I upgraded to S2 (loosing the use of my G2 Connect) but am still struggling to access the digital files on My Cloud. It’s taken +24hrs for the files in my playlists to ‘turn blue’ and play. Before that, they appeared white or grey and wouldn’t play. When I attempt to search My Cloud using the app I get the ‘full outage’ message. Hoping it will eventually settle down

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What’s “G2”? If you own a Gen 2 Connect it is S2 capable.

I seem to remember someone posting a message here about parts of WD Cloud not being available anymore. Could it be this is what happened in your case?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Instead of stabilising, the situation has deteriorated overnight. All my previously ‘blue icon’ music tracks accessed via recently played playlists - have now ‘greyed out’. I have a constant banner containing an amber button and ‘My Cloud Home is experiencing a full outage’ message. The drive itself is functioning and I can access and play music via my phone. Unable to browse or play any of my digital music on Sonia. Not sure what I can do…

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonia = Sonos

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

You can’t do anything, WD MyCloud is experiencing a general outage: https://status.sonos.com/

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ahahah, all of my re-boots and work-around have only had a temporary effect. Good to know someone is on it

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

An inexpensive local NAS might be a decent solution, that is what I do.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I previously had a SeagateMedia NAS drive which worked well until it suddenly died. Took me ages to retrieve all the files and recreate 50+ playlists. The WD drive doesn’t seem to be the issue here

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Can you access the local WD drive directly and not through the WD Cloud service?

I got frustrated with cloud stuff for primary storage after a few outages and use directly accessed local storage instead. I do use the cloud for backups though, gotta have at least one set offsite.

I could swear I got an email (which I deleted) from WD about how they were stopping support of that system. I don’t use it, hence why I think I deleted it.  I use SMB v3 to directly connect to my NAS,not their cloud ‘service’. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

This is additional info from their website.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was never able to get the desktop app to function correctly so I use the cloud. In this case the problem was a general outage cased by someone’s poorly tested update. Problem now solved and systems now functioning correctly. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

An inexpensive local NAS might be a decent solution, that is what I do.

Hope you don't  mi d me asking 

What NAS are you using now ?

I hate this Mycloud home now 

Work well for a few years then they changed it so the sonos library does work so was forced to use the myvlouud service 

No with mycloud being down I can't use that 

Thanks 

Userlevel 2

My Cloud is now back up and running. 

Is anyone still unable to play music via the My Cloud Home service?

Everything else seems to work. I can see my WD drive via My Cloud Home, and i can see my music in My Cloud Home service, but Sonos is still unable to actually play it. I've restarted, disconnected and reconnected everything, logged out and in to everything, but still no play...