Skip to main content
Answered

Why am I still getting adverts in the controller?

• 21 October 2023
  • 3 replies

This is beyond a joke, trying to choose music this morning and a huge advert pops up in the Sonos app. Again!

Firstly, I never opted into advertising. Why would I want a part of my hi-fi system to show me adverts?

Secondly, I found the setting months ago in the app preferences to “allow pop-up message” and turned this off. To reiterate, I never turned it on in the first place.

So why am I still getting adverts? The setting is still off, I checked.

For anyone reading this who doesn’t mind advertising, that’s fine. Totally your choice. But Sonos is losing my trust again (which was never fully restored after the upgrade debacle). It’s my phone, it’s my hi-fi system and I should not be forced to see unwanted adverts.

I assume there is no personal data processing involved as, having already opted out, that would be a breach of UK (and EU) privacy laws.

Anyway, how can I make sure that the right people at Sonos see this and fix it permanently?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @larsj

Thank you for sharing your experience with advertisements and notifications in the Sonos app. The advertisements that show in the Sonos app are related to Sonos deals and offers or for new products. You’re able to turn these off on Sonos.com by heading to your profile and unchecking the ‘Email’ and ‘Sonos app’ options under the Contact preferences section. 

The setting you have disabled in the Sonos app is for when a new Sonos device is powered on in the system. The Sonos app will display a pop-up with the device name and guide you through adding it to the system. This setting also displays new features we add that are relevant to the speakers you have.

As you are also looking to opt-out of additional data, you can do this by heading to Settings → Data & Privacy → Additional Usage Data.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

These are my contact preferences:

They are already unchecked, so why am I getting adverts?

And why are you making me do all this work to stop your marketing garbage that I didn’t even ask for in the first place?

Please do not treat MY hi-fi system as a YOUR shop front. It is not.

You should consider blocking the Sonos telemetry that collects your user data. 

Such as:

msmetrics.ws.sonos.com

xxx.ws.sonos.com