Skip to main content

wheres my music

Came back from 3 weeks away, turned on sonos roam, opened sonos app on phone and no option to play stored  music on my device. Radio only option! 

Where's my downloaded music gone???

Why has the icon to access it disappeared from the app???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Is this an Android phone?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

It seems that Google have removed a feature in Android phones that Sonos can no longer exploit. This means no more “on my phone” feature, though alternatives have been offered in other threads on the forum. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Explanation here: 

It’s a lengthy thread, but there are alternative solutions listed in posts there. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you. At least I understand WHY. Really annoying.  And am no way techy enough to be able to find alternatives, etc.

Most of those solutions don’t require a ton of ‘techiness’, to coin a word. And don’t sell yourself short.

Lots of us went through this process four years ago when Apple removed this functionality from iOS. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Give it a try, @Copplestone If you have trouble, ask for help. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I won’t be posting anything on other posts than mine, but what a lack of respect for the cusstommers to take away helpful  features like playing the music from our phones, don’t even come out that Airplay will go away on Sonos because that’s why I invested too much money on my Roam. 
In a few words, Sonos is giving us nothing but unreliability. too bad         

I won’t be posting anything on other posts than mine, but what a lack of respect for the cusstommers to take away helpful  features like playing the music from our phones, don’t even come out that Airplay will go away on Sonos because that’s why I invested too much money on my Roam. 
In a few words, Sonos is giving us nothing but unreliability. too bad         

Apple withdrew ‘On this device’ playback of stored tracks 3 years ago due to security concerns around the device access method and there was nothing Sonos could do about that and most users opted to use ‘Airplay’ and ‘Direct Control’ (Sonos Music API interface) as an alternative playback method - Now it appears it’s a case that Google are following in Apples footsteps and it’s probably for the same security reasons that they are doing this.

Anyhow there are many other methods to play our own tracks on Sonos - so it’s not a huge issue, just inconvenient for a few users who will need to switch their method of library access. At least Sonos have covered many of the available playback alternatives in their recent announcement. It’s just a case of choosing one or more of the mentioned options for playback and moving forward with the technology.

At least any potential security issues will now be set aside and of course none of these things are anything that Sonos has done - this is all down to Google. I’m just surprised it’s taken Google so long to do what Apple did 3 years ago.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

En pocas palabras, esto se està volviendo un dolor de cabeza.
Ya no vuelvo a comprar nada de Sonos Roam  

Moderator edit:
Google Translate-
In short, this is becoming a headache.
I will never buy anything from Sonos Roam anymore

Userlevel 1

Google hasn’t actually taken it away. It is a future plan. If you haven’t updated your Sonos software you would still have functionality.

En pocas palabras, esto se està volviendo un dolor de cabeza.
Ya no vuelvo a comprar nada de Sonos Roam  

Supongo que su publicación está un poco fuera de tema, pero pensé que planeaba vender su Roam pronto de todos modos. Tal vez deje de dolerte la cabeza cuando se venda.

Moderator edit:
Google Translate-
I guess your post is a bit off topic, but I thought you were planning to sell your Roam soon anyway. Maybe your head will stop aching when it's sold.

Google hasn’t actually taken it away. It is a future plan. If you haven’t updated your Sonos software you would still have functionality.

Yes, but then there is always the factor of having the security vulnerability, whatever that maybe? - I think it’s best to close such security loopholes, personally speaking, as there are at least other ‘secure’ ways to continue to play our tracks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Copplestone here again. Have successfully paired device with sonos on Bluetooth....one of the suggestions now Google has removed access on Androids. 

Still can't find my stored music. Don't understand how Bluetooth connection is meant to work.

Copplestone here again. Have successfully paired device with sonos on Bluetooth....one of the suggestions now Google has removed access on Androids. 

Still can't find my stored music. Don't understand how Bluetooth connection is meant to work.

Just use any App that accesses the mobile storage and can play your stored audio tracks on your mobile device speakers - most mobiles/tablets often come with a in-built media player, but otherwise you should find such Apps on the Google Play Store.

When BT paired, the audio will play to the Bluetooth connected speaker, rather than your internal mobile device speakers. If using a Sonos Roam or Era 100/300 you can also group those to any/every other Sonos speaker available in the Sonos App to play the BT streaming audio to the entire ‘group’ of Sonos devices.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for this but...in earlier messages I said I wasn't techy enough to cope with all this! I was kindly told to ask for help! So, sorry, but your message needs to be MUCH more in words of one syllable. 

"Just use any app that can..."..

I've no idea how to identify such an app and what to do with it once I've got it.

"When BT paired...".....no idea how, when, to do this.

Sorry. Will understand if yr patience runs out.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is 'Files by Google' such an app?

If so, I download it...then what?!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ah...BT means Bluetooth,  not British Telecom!!!

(You see what you're dealing with....!)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Bloody hell...I've done it!!!

Open the champagne. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I’ve been offline all day so I’m late to the party, but if it’s ok I shall have a beer? Congrats! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Cheers!🍺

Userlevel 1
Badge

OH NO. Thought I'd sorted it all...music all available through Bluetooth  but, oh god, its all in totally haphazard order. My music is classical...so now , for example,  3rd movement of a Beethoven concerto is in 1 place, the 1st in another and 2nd miles away. Cannot , therefore, play things to run in the right order. Can find no way of reorganising files so can. And I've tried! Nightmare.

OH NO. Thought I'd sorted it all...music all available through Bluetooth  but, oh god, its all in totally haphazard order. My music is classical...so now , for example,  3rd movement of a Beethoven concerto is in 1 place, the 1st in another and 2nd miles away. Cannot , therefore, play things to run in the right order. Can find no way of reorganising files so can. And I've tried! Nightmare.

Maybe quickly rename the actual files/tracks and just put an integer at the start of each track. Example:

01-Piano Concerto No. 3 In C Minor, Op. 37: 1 Allegro con brio

02-Piano Concerto No. 3 In C Minor, Op. 37: II Largo

03-Piano Concerto No. 3 In C Minor, Op. 37: IlI Rondo. Allegro

04-Piano Concerto No. 4 In G Major, Op. 58: I Allegro moderato

05-Piano Concerto No. 4 In G Major, Op. 58: Il Andante con moto

06-Piano Concerto No. 4 In G Major, Op. 58: III Rondo vivace

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks, but (if I've understood  you) the intergers are correct, also the names of the movements....they are just in a haphazard order in the store e.g. 1st movement correctly named and given interger 1, 2nd correctly named and given interger 2, etc. But WHERE they are placed in the store is not in the right order or even next to each other at all.(which is not how they were before I "transferred" them).