Skip to main content
Question

Where is the Mute button - New Sonos App?

I can't seem to find the Mute button, in either the new app or in the web app. Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m chiming in here as I agree this new app is terrible. Initial look is more modern but to not include multiple features that have been around for the 10 years I’ve been using Sonos is inconceivable to me. Please let us go back to old app until all this can be corrected 

Please give back the MUTE button asap !!!

Or tell us How to roll back to the previous app version …

we are begging you, please, SONOS team 

this community and all my Sonos friends are same minded: nobody understands how the quality of the app went that bad ???!!! 
did any of you used that app, actually before releasing it?

Rebuilt to make it slower, harder to navigate and have less features. Now that’s innovation! Thank you Sonos. 

Userlevel 3

If I had to guess this is a deliberate cost saving removal of the mute button and won’t be coming back for music. It still appears on a TV stream. I guarantee they are trying to train us all to hit the pause button which stops the stream and saves them bandwidth costs when you’re using a music service. Of course this sucks for radio stations on TuneIn because every time you pause or change the station you get another 2mins of ads. Also changes how I use groups because, probably like everyone here, I like muting a zone from time to time while keeping audio playing in other zones. 

Muting is dirt-basic functionality for any audio system. It’s a true embarrassment and very damaging to the brand if Sonos removed this on purpose. It needs to be brought back immediately if Sonos wants to preserve its status as a player in the Hi-Fi market. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Agreed, the inability to mute certain rooms from the app is central to the entire point of having Sonos, well at least one of them. Ridiculous and how could it possibly be taking this long to fix?

Plus the App latency is absurd, it takes over a minute to find what is already playing when I start playing something from my PC.

This is awful and patience is running thin

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

You have to be kidding?  No mute? Who are these people who came up with this?  Did they grow up with no audio of any sort?  Basic, people - basic!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

As a workaround for no mute, I would just ungroup the room/speaker that I want to mute, but that doesn’t work either.  Deselect a speaker, hit apply and it nothing changes or a different speaker starts playing, or a different speaker starts playing a different playlist, or I get an error message about nothing playing when there is, etc etc. 

Meh.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It’s a complete joke. The original app from 2012 - at least that’s when I first got Sonos -  worked better than this total POS “upgrade”

It’s back now.

80.02.05 (Android)
80.02.04 (iOS)

• Added support for the all new Sonos Ace headphones
  • Added sleep timer settings
  • Added “play next” and “add to end of queue”
  • Improved Home Feed scrolling
  • Improved setup reliability
  • Added WiFi configuration for products with BLE
  • Improved battery consumption for Bluetooth discovery
  • Improved ability to update older firmware systems
  • Further improved navigation for visually-impaired customers
  • Added VoiceOver support to read toast message automatically on iOS
  • Introduced mute button on iOS
  • Improved local library connectivity
  • Improved Trueplay setup on iOS
  • Added distance settings for surrounds
  • Added line-out settings for Sonos Port
Badge +1

Whilst it is there, unless I’m missing it completely, it only mutes the whole flipping group!!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

It’s back now.

It is not on Android 😥

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

There is no mute button on IOS, and tot the extent there is something that looks like it, it doesn’t do anything. And by Mute you should be able to mute each room individually, not all or nothing. Like it was before.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There is no mute button on IOS, and tot the extent there is something that looks like it, it doesn’t do anything. And by Mute you should be able to mute each room individually, not all or nothing. Like it was before.

The speaker icon to the left of the volume line is mute. Tap it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The speaker icon to the left of the volume line is mute. Tap it.

It doesn’t do anything, that’s been my point.

Badge +1

That’s the mute button, but it mutes the whole group, there no way to do individual speakers!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Understood! Sorry. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sorry for the confusion, that’s the group mute There are no individual mute buttons. I thought maybe that;’s what the button to the left of each room is supposed to be but it really isn’t a button.

This  such a useful and basic function, how does an app get released that can’t perform basic functionality?

Badge +1

Sorry for the confusion, that’s the group mute There are no individual mute buttons. I thought maybe that;’s what the button to the left of each room is supposed to be but it really isn’t a button.

This  such a useful and basic function, how does an app get released that can’t perform basic functionality?

That’s what I posted about 10 hours ago

Somehow I wasn’t forced to the new Somos APP until today. My wife was forced a while back.

I HATE THIS NEW APP!!!!!

Absolutely idiotic to take the individual speaker mute away…. So frustrating 

Where are the volumes buttons in this new version? they were replaced by the mute button.

It was very easy to adjust the volume to a specific level now it is very difficult to have it adjusted only with the slider. Can the previous version of the iOS app be  released again? Thx.