Skip to main content

Where did local/NAS storage go?

• 12 May 2024
  • 5 replies

My Sonos App updated and changed in a big way. The biggest way is that I can no longer access my NAS storage that holds my music library, or find any kind of network storage option at all. All I can access are 'services' that I don't want.

Am I missing something or have my speakers just become fancy paperweights?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 2

We need to start a User petition to get a rollback. I did not spend hundreds of pounds to end with such a useless system app!

Userlevel 1
Badge

That is exactly the issue that thousands of people are complaining about!! Lost access to my music library and when trying to reinstate the link I get a 913 error code…. that’s it, nothing else

Shocking behaviour from Sonos

Yes, i’m with ya… they have abandoned their user base.  I  bought Sonos starting 20+ years ago so that I could listen to my local (network attached storage) personal music library (Mac).  It has worked great for 20 years.. till now.. .when those morons at Sonos decided to 1) destroy the user interface in the mobile and desktop app, 2) eliminate access to local libraries (really, Sonos???), and 3) bury us with ads to buy more of their products on their site and in the apps.  Well, you can forget that.  I’m not buying squat till this is fixed.  I had recently dropped $1000+ replace my aging ZP80/90 configs as well as one of my speakers.. now i have this brand new stuff which worked great… for a few weeks but now, thanks to the geniuses at Sonos, i’m dead in the water getting to my music library.

Unfortunately, what worked great for me for years (Apple Time Capsule) with SMB is now a brick (except my music is still on it).   It’s become clear to me that even if / when Sonos gets their brains back and restores the missing features and fixes the UI, that I’m still screwed to access my library since they dropped SMB from their list.

To this community -- what NAS device to you recommend to work with Sonos going forward as a place to store and access my music?  I have about 200Gb of music.   I already have a dependable backup system so I don’t care about that part.  I just need a NAS drive to put my music that Sonos will recognize.

Like many of us, I am so angry and frustrated.   I have worked in the software industry for 40+ years, much of it for large consumer companies, and we would NEVER screw our user base like Sonos has.

Hoping things improve.

I’ve been using both an older WD NAS, which that allows me to set SMB versions (the lesser expensive versions apparently don’t), and a newer Synology, which also allows me access to set the versions of SMB in use. 
I did have difficulty at one point when a firmware update that WD sent out turned off SMB v1 without notifying me, so it took a little research on my part to get my connection working again, but the benefit was closing a potential security issue on my NAS, where I do keep some critical and confidential data. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I can see my library but the I'm annoyed that all the artwork is missing.