Answered

When will the android sonos app be fixed?

Not fit for purpose the app rarely finds the speakers, lots of people having the same problem, look at the reviews on the Google play store. The old app worked fine.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 October 2022, 00:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

You have local network issues, the app works the same as before. 

I don't accept that. I have no problems with other apps. Surely all the other people complaining on google play store do not have network issues. I have no problems with streaming etc through my router.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I don't accept that. I have no problems with other apps. Surely all the other people complaining on google play store do not have network issues. I have no problems with streaming etc through my router.

You may want to look at my article: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

The question is not do you accept it, the question is:  Do you want it fixed?  Because there's only one way to fix it, and it's not waiting for Sonos to fix an app which isn't broken.

Now with a minimal effort, I can get you up and working, and with a little more effort, I can keep it from happening again. Or you can be stubborn and sit there with a busted system. 

So which is it? 

Sonos is complex, in terms of its demands on the local network. 

When home networks were simple, Sonos had relatively few issues. 

When home networks became complex, in the hands of users who didn’t fully understand quite what they were installing, problems began to arise.  

Once you’ve decided that the issue must be [...] or cannot be [...] you are likely to be blindsided.

Not too long ago there was a computer or two and a phone or two on a typical home network. Now, we have Thermostats. video cameras, storage devices, TV’s, Games and other toys, home control, shades, and, of course, SONOS and multiple computers/pads/phones. I’ve seen “simple” networks with 60 clients and it’s easy to have more. In the old days the devices mostly fetched web pages and email. Now most of these devices are chattering with their local and online kin while viewing online videos and gaming. SONOS is very chatty with it’s kin. Simple home networks that had been perfectly adequate might now be overwhelmed.

Sometimes a simple reconfiguration is helpful -- but first you must accept the possibility that the network could be improved.

In 2005 I started my SONOS system. I had a good network, or so I though. SONOS was not at all happy about the situation. I identified and worked through my issues and it was clear sailing for a few years. I then moved and changed ISP’s. The next months were a mess. The web was burning with complaints about the ISP’s Gateway. Anything more than a computer or two plus a phone or two was simply too complicated for it to deal with. No amount of updates or fussing with options could make that thing behave. Finally I had the opportunity to get rid of that thing and all the nonsense stopped that evening. It’s was clear sailing again.

If you describe your network for us we can probably offer some suggestions. Which model Gateway/router? Network switches? Wireless extenders or mesh points? SONOS models? Is SONOS wired or wireless? Home automation? etc.

The question is not do you accept it, the question is:  Do you want it fixed?  Because there's only one way to fix it, and it's not waiting for Sonos to fix an app which isn't broken.

Now with a minimal effort, I can get you up and working, and with a little more effort, I can keep it from happening again. Or you can be stubborn and sit there with a busted system. 

So which is it? 

Happy to try anything.

Once you’ve decided that the issue must be [...] or cannot be [...] you are likely to be blindsided.

Not too long ago there was a computer or two and a phone or two on a typical home network. Now, we have Thermostats. video cameras, storage devices, TV’s, Games and other toys, home control, shades, and, of course, SONOS and multiple computers/pads/phones. I’ve seen “simple” networks with 60 clients and it’s easy to have more. In the old days the devices mostly fetched web pages and email. Now most of these devices are chattering with their local and online kin while viewing online videos and gaming. SONOS is very chatty with it’s kin. Simple home networks that had been perfectly adequate might now be overwhelmed.

Sometimes a simple reconfiguration is helpful -- but first you must accept the possibility that the network could be improved.

In 2005 I started my SONOS system. I had a good network, or so I though. SONOS was not at all happy about the situation. I identified and worked through my issues and it was clear sailing for a few years. I then moved and changed ISP’s. The next months were a mess. The web was burning with complaints about the ISP’s Gateway. Anything more than a computer or two plus a phone or two was simply too complicated for it to deal with. No amount of updates or fussing with options could make that thing behave. Finally I had the opportunity to get rid of that thing and all the nonsense stopped that evening. It’s was clear sailing again.

If you describe your network for us we can probably offer some suggestions. Which model Gateway/router? Network switches? Wireless extenders or mesh points? SONOS models? Is SONOS wired or wireless? Home automation? etc.

Thanks I have a BT Hub 2(?) router. No wired connections just Wifi connected devices laptop, tablet, phone and TV plus one sonos play 5 speaker. No extenders, mesh points etc. Plus wifi phone.

Happy to try anything.

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems.  The  typical cause is duplicate IP addresses.  These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP,  and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.

Similar issue; New Virgin Media Hub 5 so network change, Galaxy S21 Android wont complete connection process, usual palaver, reboots, reset to factory defaults, check same networks etc no joy.

Finally ask wife to try from IPhone, straight in, no issues, all set-up. Still can’t connect from Android though so now all music controlled by wife - Radio 2 anyone?

I wish people won’t assume we are all complete idiots when it comes to home networks… Sonos (or possibly Samsung) have an issue here.

P.S. Same issue & same solution with Bose speaker….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Similar issue; New Virgin Media Hub 5 so network change, Galaxy S21 Android wont complete connection process, usual palaver, reboots, reset to factory defaults, check same networks etc no joy.

Finally ask wife to try from IPhone, straight in, no issues, all set-up. Still can’t connect from Android though so now all music controlled by wife - Radio 2 anyone?

I wish people won’t assume we are all complete idiots when it comes to home networks… Sonos (or possibly Samsung) have an issue here.

P.S. Same issue & same solution with Bose speaker….

Duplicate IP addresses will often only impact specific devices, did you check my post which gives further information to the steps from @jgatieTips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community