Answered

What's the problem between Sonos and Apple these days?

• 9 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

What’s going on between Sonos and Apple?

I am once again unable to update the Sonos app on my MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.1. Sonos says an update is available, but when I try I get an “unable to update, try again later” window. This first happened about a month ago, and I was able to update by downloading Version 14.19 from Sonos. Now the problem seems to exist again.

Yesterday, when grappling with this, I received another notification from Sonos that I was no longer connected to Apple Music. This also happened about a month ago. Reconnecting is easy to do, and I have done it again, but what’s going on?

I have satisfactorily used my Sonos Play 5 and two Play 1’s with all my apple devices (MacBook, iPad, iPhone) reliably for the past five years without these problems, until recently. Is there now some compatibility problem I don’t understand?

My wife has enjoyed Sonos throughout, but she’s not particularly computer savvy. So, what was once a reliable system now becomes in regular annoyance that she has to periodically refer to me for help. Not impossible, but why has this become worse?

What’s going on, and what can I do about it?

icon

Best answer by el rubio 9 January 2023, 22:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

hi @jimpal, I have also experienced SONOS App update failures with MacOS and suspect it is due to the security/privacy settings of the OS. The workaround I use is to ‘manually’ download the App from the SONOS website and install it.

I came across another post that confirms my workaround as only solution so far.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for your helpful response. I’ll do what you suggest. Wouldn’t you think Sonos would fix this so Mac updates could be done as easily as before? Or at least put out a message to Mac users telling them what to do otherwise, rather than having to find out how to do it on our own?

Two users have a few glitches. Conclusion - there is a  major problem with Sonos and Apple? 

Given that Sonos has not developed the MacOS app for years, it probably isn't a reasonable basis for judging this anyway.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Two issues reported here. And several other examples cited in response to my posting a month or so ago. Who knows how many there are?

And why has Apple Music started disconnecting after literally years of never happening? 

Perhaps not a major problem (whatever that is), but surely annoying. And apparent after years of easy, reliable compatibility. 

Major or not, wouldn’t you think Sonos would fix it, or at least publish their suggested work-around.

Is this half-measures situation satisfactory to you? Certainly disappointing to me, who has admired Sonos performance for some years now. 

Have you provided a diagnostic to Sonos, and then called in to them? There’s likely at least a dozen reasons for the behavior you describe, most, but not all,  of them having to do with local, not Sonos firmware or software. 

I’ll give you, however, the Apple change to the process of updating the Sonos app. Either Apple didn’t notify Sonos in time, or Sonos is painfully slow in adjusting to the new paradigm, or both.

But the issue of Apple Music disconnecting most likely means an issue in the local network, not in Sonos. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks again for providing your consistent good advice. I have downloaded the latest version of the Sonos app for macOS from the Sonos website once again, as I first did in November, as you suggested.  I had thought that by now Sonos would not be the unique app on my Mac (Ventura) which requires that, but there it is. And all sems to be working well.

It seemed to me there might be a link between the failure to update and Apple Music disconnect because I got a dialog box saying that one of my apps was not updated (turned out to be my MacBook Pro with Ventura), at the same time I was notified Apple Music was disconnected. 

I understand your flagging the possibility of local network problems, but I don’t know why that would happen here. I have an excellent Eero mesh system with great connectivity throughout my home, which is unchanged for the past five years. And no signs of problems now with anything else on the network.

I guess I am just spoiled by the over five years of reliable snd sophisticated operation of my Sonos 5 and two 1’s without having tto do this unique old-fashioned update process and having Apple Music connection drop so frequently.

I haven’t provided a diagnostic to Sonos, as you suggest, but will keep that in mind if there is a next time. I must say I would prefer them to spend their time fixing their app so it updates like everything else on my MacBook Pro with Ventura. Instead of the dark-ages way we must do it now. 😉