WebRadio from a UPNP Media Server

• 15 February 2024
  • 8 replies

I have setup several web radio stations on my Fritz router, which presents them as a UPNP stream on my fixed and WiFi networks.  The stations are found automatically by my Samsung TV, laptop, and on my phone using VLC, all without login.  However my Sonos system does not display them and I cannot “force” it to find them.  (The Sonos system accesses the tracks on the Fritz NAS after adding as a Media library, so it can reach the router fine.)

I am in the ridiculous situation of having to play the Web Radio stations on my TV, which then sends them into my Arc and from then I can stream across the other Sonos devices.  Does anyone have any advice on how to get my Sonos system to pick up the UPNP Web Radio streams automatically, like my other devices do?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Don3376

Did you try to turn on „show upnp server“ in Sonos app settings… system… mediaserver?

Badge +20

UPnP & DLNA access can be enabled in Sonos via the app, BUT these are unsupported features and little is known about them. 

This thread may help you

@Don3376

Did you try to turn on „show upnp server“ in Sonos app settings… system… mediaserver?

Yes, both UPNP and Media Servers are turned on

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Don3376

Yes, both UPNP and Media Servers are turned on

Ok, that’s the only thing to try I think. If that won’t work, imho there’s no way to access the upnp content from within Sonos app. 

UPnP & DLNA access can be enabled in Sonos via the app, BUT these are unsupported features and little is known about them. 

This thread may help you

Thanks - looks like Sonos doesn’t interpret UPNP properly.  Chat agent couldn’t help so need to call support.  Will write solution if there is one!

Try a third party DLNA control point app. It will pick up the media server(s) and should offer the Sonos units as renderers. How smoothly it works remains to be seen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Would be simpler to get the direct streaming urls of the web radio stations and add them to your Sonos system directly.

Would be simpler to get the direct streaming urls of the web radio stations and add them to your Sonos system directly.

Thanks. However that needs TuneIn functionality (as opposed to the TuneIn existing stations), and the new version does not have the "My Radio Stations" option (yet?). My temporary solution was to go back to the old version of TuneIn, add them using the desktop app, then add them to Sonos Favourites so I can access them when the old TuneIn stops working. When that happens, it's back to the original problem to add new stations - whatever format the Fritz router casts the Web Radio configured on the internal network (either UPNP or DLNA, despite them being related), Sonos is the only system on the network which doesn't pick them up!