Answered

Volume take-over - hacked

• 4 October 2023
  • 9 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

I have 2 play 1's and a connect in my system.  I will be playing music through the sonos app (S1) streaming spotify - when the volume just skyrockets.  I try and push it back, or pause the music.  And it is though someone else is moving the volume controls. Remotely.

I know it sounds weird.  But it has happened a few times.

I did a diagnostic report.  I checked to see if there was any other devices on my home network. Nope.

Sonos help suggested that it had to be someone else with my login, or on my wifi login.  I have not given out either.  I changed my wifi name, password.  Changed sonos userpassword.

It happened again today. I read about the 2022 hack, and have the latest Sonos update for the S1 app.

Any ideas? Any way to combat this? 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 4 October 2023, 19:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos should be able to see where the volume change initiated. Strange wasn’t metioned in you call. Next time this happens make a diagnostic and call Sonos after that.

ah ok, I was wondering what they could see with the diagnostics.  Do you think if I contact them with the diagnostic report number from the last time - they can check that?  Or is it only what's happening in real time?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

They should be able to look back, if they still have the report in their system.

I’d send them a fresh one myself, the sending is easy and compared to getting to a tech and then not having the report available.

They should be able to look back, if they still have the report in their system.

I’d send them a fresh one myself, the sending is easy and compared to getting to a tech and then not having the report available.

The diagnostic does need to be done very soon after the incident occurred though.  

thank you both - I forgot yesterday as I was freaked out it was happening again and was battling with trying to control the volume.  and also trying to see if any other devices were on home network.  I do have an old report from a few weeks ago.  Will ask them and see.  Thanks for responding to my question 🙏

Is it possible that it's related to the SonosNet channel I am on?  I'm on 11 - would changing that make any difference?  I can't change this on the app - it's greyed out.

Unlikely, it’s more likely that you’ve set up your router improperly, and your Sonos is in the public domain, rather than behind a firewall. Or you have a third party app somewhere that’s sending commands behind the firewall, and it’s not being ‘hacked’ from outside at all. This is why that diagnostic, and the subsequent phone call is so important. Determining where these commands are coming from is essential. 

Userlevel 7

Is it possible that it's related to the SonosNet channel I am on?  I'm on 11 - would changing that make any difference?  I can't change this on the app - it's greyed out.

If the SonosNet channel is greyed out it means your system is not in a wired setup. You can only change the SonosNet channel if you have at least one Sonos device wired to your router. As you are not using SonosNet, this option in the app is irrelevant to your issue at hand.

I would also perhaps "end the Spotify Session" in each Sonos room (via ‘now playing’ screen) or simply play some other audio source to the room(s) as that will get rid of any ‘stuck’ connections to devices that have played Spotify ‘direct’ audio to the speakers in the past on the local network.