Answered

Volume difference between tracks only on Sonos

• 10 January 2023
  • 1 reply

I have some audio books as mp3 in my local library that have a rather big difference in volume between some tracks.

In example the third track of the audiobook is noticably more quiet than the second and third. So much, that i need to adjust the volume to listen to it.

This problem seems to be only present while listening through the Sonos system. When i play the same files on my windos computer (built in Groove App or VLC) or via various apps on my iPhone the tracks are at a comparable volume to one another.

I tried fixing this with MP3Gain program by changing the metadata (REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN Tag) but before my changes this is compareble with the other tracks. When i change the tag and increse the volume to this one track it is indeed louder when i play it in Sonos, but it also gets louder in all other mentiond replay devices/apps too.

Does anyone have an idea, why Sonos seems to behave different to all other playback devices/apps and how to fix this?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 January 2023, 00:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I can only think that the tracks in the audio-book are actually different volume levels and when played elsewhere on other hardware/software, either the app/hardware being used is using volume normalisation, or the ‘other’ speakers are so small/poor that it’s more difficult to notice the volume difference.

If the REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN tag is working for you on Sonos, then perhaps just retain a copy for Sonos and a separate copy for your other devices.

That said, if you’re still concerned that there might be a Sonos issue here and/or a problem with your Sonos device, you are perhaps best to reproduce the issue highlighting the differences in volume and then submit a system diagnostic and note, or post, it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see if they can see any issues with the device, or Sonos software.