Volume controls UX/UI update for proper fine grained control

• 22 September 2023
  • 5 replies

I’ve been using Sonos over 10 years now and i’m wondering if it by now isn’t time to update the volume control sliders. Especially on a phone they are pretty inaccurate to work with.

I hardly exceed 20 and when i want fine grained control it is really hard and oftentimes the volume jumps a few numbers when i release my finger.

Have a look at the “volume” controls of Philips Hue app for example. It’s a breeze to set the “volume” of the lights. Both individually as well as in a group.

Would really love to see this improvement in the Sonos apps as well.

Hope some Sonos Product Owner can step in and provide a reply.

Looking forward to that one.

Kind regards,
Richard

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @storkontheroof 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

In the meantime, have you tried setting a volume limit on your speaker? It doesn’t increase the granularity of the volume, but it should make it easier to be accurate with your touchscreen slider control - you’d need to move your finger further to get the same increase in volume.

You can set a volume limit by going to Settings » System » [room name] » Volume Limit. If you set it to 50%, 100% volume in the app will be 50% actual volume, and the slider will need to move twice as much to reach it.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I find using the volume buttons on my phone and tablet a lot less frustrating than using the slider on the App.

Even a “smart” volume slider, one that popped up along the long axis of the screen, rather than the short one would be a plus.

For fine volume control, tap to either side of the slider.  This will move the slider a single increment.

Hi, i was away for a few days, so couldn’t test…

@Corry P : That’s a nice workaround!

@jgatie When i wanting to go lower than 8, that didn’t work anymore, because then i would hit the mute button. But now that i have a volume limit set on 65%, this indeed works ok now.

Thanks for the tips!

Hi, i was away for a few days, so couldn’t test…

@Corry P : That’s a nice workaround!

@jgatie When i wanting to go lower than 8, that didn’t work anymore, because then i would hit the mute button. But now that i have a volume limit set on 65%, this indeed works ok now.

Thanks for the tips!

For low volume, slide it al the way down, then tap on the right.