Answered

Volume Controls on Desktop App Greyed out

• 20 October 2022
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 55 replies

I updated the PC version of the Sonos app yesterday to the latest one.  Immediately, the volume controls are now greyed out and not accessible.  I have four locations, and it’s somewhat random which are greyed out.  Sometimes it’s just one room and sometimes it’s multiple.  My iPhone app is working just fine.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by WSC3 16 November 2022, 18:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

I’m having the same/similar issue.  Volume control on desktop (windows) app is frozen.  Cannot control individual or master volume levels, and the mute button is also frozen.  Mobile app working fine.  Both updated today.

Have you contacted Sonos support?

This is a known issue and Sonos say that they are working on a fix.

Same issue! Frustrating!  

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

$20k system, nickel app…..

Same problem, volume control from my PC Windows 11 for each room is greyed out, App on Android cell works just fine. This happened yesterday after downloading the latest update. Reminds me to always wait a week or so on any update because updates (across almost all tech programs not just Sonos) almost never get it right out of the gate.

Same issue. I also noticed some weird intermittent behavior. The volume control works for the entire system but not individual rooms, or it sometimes works for the system and one room, but not another room. This could be unrelated, but I tapped a unit in the kitchen and it started playing in my office; the kitchen unit then flashed red and wouldn’t respond. I hope they fix this.

Have you read the post from @John B above?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

ControlAV: Other apps for Sonos?  Really?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ditto

Same problem for me, too. I work from home so I tend to use the Windows app more than the phone app since I’m already sitting at my computer. Not being able to mute my office easily while letting other speakers keep playing is getting really frustrating. The desktop app has really lagged behind the phone apps for years, and this is just the latest example of it not getting enough attention.

C’mon Sonos get this greyed out volume control fixed. I am building a guest house and may have to look for another more productive system. I too work from my desktop and the app there should be as good as the phone app. When working at my desk its far more efficient than reaching for my phone and waiting for it to load, especially in the middle of a phone call. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This problem surfaced five days ago. Why the threat? Give Sonos some time…….

Same issue with volume controls...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Same issue with volume controls...

Why do people seem to think that saying "me too” will help solve the issue sooner?

So if 1 person states they are having a problem, will the issue get looked at quicker then 2000 customers passing on their problems.

Hey beynym, you have some time on your hands?

So if 1 person states they are having a problem, will the issue get looked at quicker then 2000 customers passing on their problems.

Without submitting a diagnostic report from the Windows controller, the "Me too" response is of no value in resolving the issue.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

diagnostic report was submitted...so this forum is of no benefit.  Thanks.  Ric

diagnostic report was submitted...so this forum is of no benefit.  Thanks.  Ric

Since we seem to be doing the battle of the no benefits . . . Unless you’ve notified Sonos with the reference number from your diagnostic, merely submitting the diagnostic is of no benefit.

@Corry P what is the timeline on the fix for this?  Pending for almost 2 weeks now.  Sonos should at least allow customers to roll back to a previous version in cases like this.  Provide executable installers for previous releases.  Or a zip file with instructions on where to copy and paste the contents.  Something.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mmci123 

I’m afraid that information is not available to me.

@Corry P what is the timeline on the fix for this?  Pending for almost 2 weeks now.  Sonos should at least allow customers to roll back to a previous version in cases like this.  Provide executable installers for previous releases.  Or a zip file with instructions on where to copy and paste the contents.  Something.

I don’t think Sonos has ever allowed a rollback, and rollbacks are just another chance for error and confusion, especially as app and system have to be kept consistent.

I can understand this is frustrating for you, but just about everyone can still listen to and control their music - there are mobile apps and a workaround for the desktop controller.  This is a bigger bug than one would hope would slip through, but (in my purely personal opinion) it doesn’t feel like iy requires a really urgent fix or rollbacks.  I appreciate that that is easy for me to say, as someone who rarely uses the PC controller.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I don’t think Sonos has ever allowed a rollback, and rollbacks are just another chance for error and confusion, especially as app and system have to be kept consistent.

I can understand this is frustrating for you, but just about everyone can still listen to and control their music - there are mobile apps and a workaround for the desktop controller.  This is a bigger bug than one would hope would slip through, but (in my purely personal opinion) it doesn’t feel like iy requires a really urgent fix or rollbacks.  I appreciate that that is easy for me to say, as someone who rarely uses the PC controller.

Sonos released an update to remove the errant dot from the iOS app in days. To remove a frigging dot.

Badge +2

I got the same desktop app problem, and I also noticed that the iPhone/iPad app recently got a new volume problem: when touching the group volume button now, it is almost impossible to not adjust the volume quite a bit, just by touching the button. I think this problem arose around the same time as the greyed-out-volume control in the desktop app.

Work faster, dang it! This is a VERY aggravating bug.