Skip to main content
Question

Volume Control

• 21 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Why's is the new app Volume Control so slow to respond?  Are there plans to fix it?  It’s a terrible characteristic of the new app.  Almost enough to keep me from buying Sonos in the future.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My guess is that the volume control is passed to the cloud (play.sonos.com) and there, it is passed back to your speakers. Because of capacity problems this can be sloooow. And if it’s not like that, then at least the app is first sending the volume to the cloud before updating the speaker locally, which can also result in this slowdown.

In the past, the app could control the speakers directly, without the need to contact the cloud. The old app, and third party apps (like sonospad on iOS and NOSON on Android) still do it like that.

Plans to fix it…? Well, probably not a priority with all the other problems the new app is having.

That’s a plausible theory.   Thanks for the quick reply.

I don’t find the volume control a problem. See attached example from my own setup, whilst using group volume control for 6 Sonos rooms, but that’s with devices that are mostly using a WiFi-6 5Ghz connection to the LAN,with SNR levels showing greater than 45dB in the Sonos App and a 1gig d/l and 100MB/s u/l internet link.

Thanks for the reply.  I will look into changing my WiFi connection to 5Ghz.  Some of that is over my head, however, I have a great A/V guy to walk me through it.