Ventura update & S2 Update - again

• 10 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I would have replied to this thread, but it is closed for comments

“Controller update fails on macOS Ventura 13.0”

I’m hitting this problem having just updated to Ventura and got the app update message

I’m on version 15.1 for the app

I have a concern about downloading and reinstalling based on the following statement

• If you are not using a music library shared from the Mac, please uninstall the controller, download the newest version from https://support.sonos.com/s/downloads and install it.
  • If you are currently using a music library shared from the Mac you should skip the update and use the controller in limited compatibility mode for the time being.

I have my music library in Music on the mac, but the music library is on a NAS drive.  I have had issues in the past with playlists not updating correctly, so I currently have two “shares” in the app settings

/users/<myname>/Music

//<NASdrive>/<music folder>

Does the above setting mean I should or should not update the app?

Thanks in advance for any help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DavidJS 

Thanks for your post!

I recommend updating to the latest version of the Sonos app for macOS.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks @Corry P 

Will I have to add the music setting shares again after the update?

Can you confirm that they will still work? - That is my main concern

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DavidJS 

With your library located on a NAS, you shouldn’t need to adjust anything (though I would recommend removing the share pointing to your library stored on your Mac, however - don’t you get duplicates?).

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Corry P

I don’t get duplicates, because to clarify, my music library on the mac points to the NAS drive.

However, I had had issues with playlists not updating correctly in the past

So, I add the ‘users/<username>/music’ share and SONOS creates the following directory and file

‘users/<username>/music/Itunes/itunes music library.xml’

This updates when I update my playlists and run the update music system option

I have had many challenges in the past getting this to work with permissions but the current set up has been successful and is still working after the OS update. 

My concern is removing the shares and adding them back in will break it again

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DavidJS 

I don’t get duplicates, because to clarify, my music library on the mac points to the NAS drive.

Ah, ok - I thought you might have copied the entire folder over to your Mac.

However, I had had issues with playlists not updating correctly in the past

So, I add the ‘users/<username>/music’ share and SONOS creates the following directory and file

‘users/<username>/music/Itunes/itunes music library.xml’

This updates when I update my playlists and run the update music system option

Good thinking! This saves copying the xml file over to the NAS manually each time.

I have had many challenges in the past getting this to work with permissions but the current set up has been successful and is still working after the OS update. 

My concern is removing the shares and adding them back in will break it again

In my experience, it’s the OS update that can cause problems (I’ve come across situations where the OS update has decided to change the computer’s network name, for inexplicable reasons). No such issue should occur when updating the Sonos app on your Mac. You won’t need to remove and add the shares.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

ok, thanks @Corry P