Skip to main content

Sonos-required update to 15.2 produces “unexpected error” message on Mac. System unusable until update is completed. So I’m trapped. Update on iPhone and iPad to 15.2 worked fine. What gives?

Maybe try this … Authorise the “Sonos Installer” under System Settings → Privacy & Security → App Management. Once allowed, you should be able to use auto update from the Sonos App itself.

Maybe try this … Authorise the “Sonos Installer” under System Settings → Privacy & Security → App Management. Once allowed, you should be able to use auto update from the Sonos App itself.

this solution worked for me. After these steps, I went to check for updates in the sonos app and it went smoothly.

I don’t see an App named “Sonos Installer”. Suggestions? I authorized the Sonos S2 app,bvut to no avail The upgrade simply fails. And...it doesn’t appear to rtecognize my system at all. I am on 14.16 with Apple Ventura 13.2.1

I don’t see an App named “Sonos Installer”. Suggestions? I authorized the Sonos S2 app,bvut to no avail The upgrade simply fails. And...it doesn’t appear to rtecognize my system at all. I am on 14.16 with Apple Ventura 13.2.1

Maybe remove/uninstall the App and then install it from the official downloads page here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

On reinstall, if prompted, connect the App back to the ‘existing’ Sonos System and perhaps see if that works for you.

I’ve been having the same problem repeatedly since upgrading to Ventura. every Sonos update has required an app delete and reinstall. I got sick of that so I ended up here looking for a longer term solution and ended up here.

I found “Sonos Installer.app” in two locations. the more obvious and expected location was:

/Applications/Sonos.app/Contents/Resources/Sonos Installer.app

dragging and dropping that into System Settings → Privacy & Security → App Management* did the trick for me. at least this time. we’ll see if the next update “just works”.

*that settings pane seems to have only one section that says “Allow the applications below to update or delete other applications”

FWIW, once the Sonos Installer is added there, you can toggle the permission on and off if the above sounds too permissive. 

if you can’t find the “Sonos Installer.app” and know how to use Terminal/Unix commands, you can try

sudo find / -name "Sonos Installer.app" -print 2>/dev/null

which may take a while but should print out any found path to the installer. the “-print 2>/dev/null” bit is effectively hiding unhelpful output like “Operation not permitted” messages. 

edit: I should have mentioned I’m using macOS Ventura 13.4 and was updating Sonos 15.2 → 15.3.

Just to add, to get to the file above, find the Sonos app as downloaded and dragged into the Applications folder. Then Ctrl-click on it to “Show Package Contents”, then find and open “Resources”. List the (many) files alphabetically and you’ll be able to find “Sonos Installer”. Then you can drag this into System Settings as outlined by zstar above.

Really this isn’t good enough, Sonos.