Answered

Update Problem Error Code 1

• 24 October 2022
  • 6 replies

My S2 app says our Sonos Port needs a software update, but after downloading the update, it says “finishing up,” and then repeatedly returns an “Update Problem” with an “Error Code 1” under “Update information.”   I’ve been unable to determine what this error code indicates.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, unplugged the router and Port, moved closer to the router - nothing has made a difference.  Our other Sonos products (Beam and Ray) are working fine.  

I’d appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 October 2022, 06:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Have you tried wiring the Port to your router temporarily with an Ethernet cable?

If that fails to resolve the issue, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of trying an update, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge +2

I got the same Error 1 when trying to connect a Play5 (Gen2) to my existing Sonos system.

The trick is to download the old S1 controller, do a factory reset of the Play5, and then add it in the S1 controller and updating it there first. Then you go back to the normal S2 app, do another factory reset  of the Play5 there and then install any updates in S2.

At least that worked for me - with help from the Sonos support team.

I hate sonos, every time there is an update we have to go round and round in circles to update our soundbar. we connect it via the ethernet cable and it still won’t update. 

waste of time and money

Badge

I got the same Error 1 when trying to connect a Play5 (Gen2) to my existing Sonos system.

The trick is to download the old S1 controller, do a factory reset of the Play5, and then add it in the S1 controller and updating it there first. Then you go back to the normal S2 app, do another factory reset  of the Play5 there and then install any updates in S2.

Best answer here. 👏 

Update process is ridiculous.  I just had the same error and then got update to work 2x later and then it told me it needed another update.  Now I am past that and it wont link.. Just horrible programming in 2022.  Don't let these programmers near nuclear power plants.

I had exactly the same issue and this sorted it out in 5 minutes. My question is why on earth does Sonos think that this is an acceptable way to operate? It seems like the last stages of product development are left to the customer. The speakers themselves are fantastic and are the only reason that I continue to torture myself with Sonos but I now dread updates and know that we will loose functionality whilst I trawl the internet trying to find the correct solution. Maybe I need to start charging them by the hour!!