Answered

Unable to play Pocket Casts on S1

• 28 November 2023
  • 8 replies

I am running Sonos on 2 separate systems S1 and S2 . I have loaded Pocketcasts on both systems.

Pocketcast plays podcasts to all rooms on S2 but not on S1; I get the message “Connection to Pocket casts was lost” to all S1 room destinations..

I have been in contact with Technical support, who gave up.

I have tried re-booting Router, removesdocket casts app and re-installing, re-authorizing Pocket casts on Sonos, to no avail.

Any suggestions? (I am not a detail technical person!!)

icon

Best answer by controlav 28 November 2023, 14:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I could not add PocketCast to my S1 system using the Desktop or iOS app. I had already added it to my S2 system, no problem.

I am guessing that it is no longer S1 compatible, suggest contacting Pocketcast support.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I Believe that you are right; Ive tried everything

Userlevel 1

I use The Pocket Casts connection on my S1 system every day, so it can’t be that it doesn’t work at all. However, It has recently started refusing to play certain podcasts entirely. Some podcasts work, and I can play any episode. Other podcasts show up in the list, but every time I try to play an episode, I got the error: “Unable to play ‘Episode Name’ - the connection to Pocket Casts was lost.” Of course, they play fine through the Pocket Casts app itself. I, too, I have tried re-subscribing to podcasts and re-adding the Pocket Casts service, both to no avail.

It hadn’t occurred to me that the problem could be the S1 system. I’m still using it because I have an old Play:5 that won’t work with S2. But, maybe the time has finally come to bite the bullet and buy the new hardware necessary to use S2.

I’d be very interested to hear from others about using Pocket Casts on an S1 system.

I am experiencing the exact same issues as user nk9. I am on S1 and some podcasts play while others do not.  The issue seems to impact about 50% of my podcasts.  It seems as though it’s an issue at the individual podcast level, and compatibility with the S1 version. I am NOT upgrading my equipment for this issue.

What did PocketCast support say?

Userlevel 1

For the record, I removed the S1-only Play:Five from my system and upgraded to S2. And podcasts which would fail every time are now working flawlessly.

So while it’s far from ideal, it seems like that is a solution. 😔

I don’t use the PocketCast service all that much and when I tried to open it within the iOS S1 controller App, it wasn’t initially working, but on requesting reauthorisation it opened the PocketCasts Native App on my iPad and it went onto connect and setup in the S1 App… I took a few screenshots along the way to show what happened.

Anyhow just to say it looks like it’s S1 days are not over yet.

Userlevel 1

Yep, it does still work with some podcasts. But it has stopped working with a larger and larger selection of them. I would have preferred it if they just fixed the incompatibility between PocketCasts and S1, but for those who want it to work reliably… Upgrading to S2 is the only solution I can offer as of now.