Answered

unable to connect to music library

• 5 January 2024
  • 9 replies

I’ve just set up a connect S15 with the S2 app on both my Mac running Mojave and my iphone. I’ve got the analog out on the Connect feeding an existing stereo. I added Bandcamp as a source and it works just fine; I can access and play all my purchases w/o issue. I added 6 folders containing various format music files (mostly mp3, some wav and flac) to the music library in the computer app as per user’s guide instructions. These files all appear in the library but none of them will play. I get an ‘unable to play (file name) unable to connect to (folder name). I can play these files on my computer, I can burn them to cd-r. Any idea won’t Sonos doesn’t want to play them? I just submitted a diagnostic # 1930119625.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 January 2024, 14:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @joe piecuch, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve had a look into your diagnostics and you’re getting a Music Library Playback 111 error. In this case, I’d recommend you reach out to our support team for further assistance as they have the necessary tools available to assist you in resolving this issue and can remote into your system if needed.

I hope this helps!

Thank you; I’ll do so and I appreciate the prompt response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @joe piecuch 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

And thanks for the diagnostics - I’m pretty sure that the issue is that your Mac’s network name is one character too long (the maximum is 16). I recommend removing the folders you added to Sonos, renaming your Mac by perhaps removing your surname and the hyphens from it (and rebooting the Mac afterwards), then adding the folders to Sonos once again.

Easier said than done, of course, but hopefully this will help:

• Remove your music library
  • Due to Apple naming conventions, the default hostname of the computer can be longer than is supported. Compare the names from the following two locations in Mac System Preferences:
    • System Preferences > Network > Advanced > WINS
    • System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name
    • If the names do not match, change the sharing name to something shorter that still makes sense to you in both places, then reboot the Mac. The name change will not take proper effect until after a reboot.
      • The computer name must be 16 characters or shorter
      • avoid special characters, spaces and punctuation for best results
      • capitalization does not matter for the computer name
  • Add your music library to Sonos

If, after performing these steps, you still have issues, they may be down to folder permissions - Sonos cannot access your music folder if the filesystem on your computer thinks Sonos should not have access. To alter folder permissions, please see this Apple help page for instructions. Add permissions for Everyone to have read+write access to your music folder, and ensure to also apply those permissions to subfolders (“Apply to enclosed items”, also described on the page).

Finally, if there is not a service called “SonosLibraryService” running, you may need to reinstall the Sonos app:

• From the Mac
    • Search for and launch Activity Monitor.
    • Select View from top menu and select All Processes
    • Then search for Sonos. The SonosLibraryServer should appear.
  • If it is not running, please remove/trash the following (“~” denotes the user’s home folder):
    • /Applications/Sonos (this will uninstall the app)
    • ~/Library/Application Support/Sonos
    • ~/Library/Preferences/com.sonos.macController.plist
    • /Users/Shared/Sonos/Shares.plist
  • If any of these are already missing, don’t worry about it.
  • Once done, download the Sonos app for macOS and install

I hope this helps.

Edit: well it seems Jamie was a bit quicker, but hopefully this will save you a phone call 😁

Badge

Unable to play BBC Sounds, Apple Music and Spotify on my Play1

Badge

BBC Sounds, Apple Music and Spotify not available to add to my Music Services

Check your address settings on your account at www.sonos.com, that data is used to filter what is shown to you. Note that if you make a change, it may not reflect instantaneously. 

If that doesn’t work, call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Check your address settings on your account at www.sonos.com, that data is used to filter what is shown to you. Note that if you make a change, it may not reflect instantaneously. 

But it would be if you ask the Sonos app to check for software updates. This also refreshes the service list.

Renaming my computer seems to have remedied the problem. Thanks again,

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @TomLichfield 

You are off-topic for this thread. Please start a new thread if you still require assistance. Thank you.