Skip to main content

Unable to browse Spotify Albums on new App

I am unable to browse my Spotify Albums using the latest app (build 80.04.04-release+20240627.fa7966dd1) on both my iPhone11 and my iPad Air. It appears to time out then I get the response “Something went wrong. Try Again”. This message is not helpful. Playlists and song lists come up with no problems. This was functionality which worked on the previous S2 app and it works fine on the Windows desktop. Occasionally, just occasionally, it will show my album list but then it will stop working again.

I am not happy as this is basic functionality which I rely on.

David (UK)

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DavidEC 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! And, apologies for the delay.

I’m sorry to hear of the issues you’ve had in trying to browse Spotify’s My Albums section. Is your Spotify account a Spotify Family account, by any chance? If so, then we are aware of this issue and are investigating. We have no estimate for when a resolution will be applied, however.

In the meantime, you should be able to play Spotify to Sonos with your iPhone or iPad by using the Spotify app or AirPlay, or, as you say, by using the Desktop controller. You should also be able to open the web app on one of your iOS devices, if you tell the browser to open the desktop version of the webpage.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply, however my Spotify account is an individual one not a a family plan. Hopefully this will be taken into account in your investigations as I have noticed that others are having the same or similar problems with this app. Unfortunately I cannot use Airplay at my main home site as this has the older Sonos products which do not support Airplay. However, I was not aware of the web app and this  does seem to work satisfactorily but it is not ideal so I am looking forward to the problems with the IOS app being resolved. The old app worked fine so in the meantime it would be nice if this was still available on the app store.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thank you for the reply, however my Spotify account is an individual one not a a family plan. Hopefully this will be taken into account in your investigations as I have noticed that others are having the same or similar problems with this app. Unfortunately I cannot use Airplay at my main home site as this has the older Sonos products which do not support Airplay. However, I was not aware of the web app and this  does seem to work satisfactorily but it is not ideal so I am looking forward to the problems with the IOS app being resolved. The old app worked fine so in the meantime it would be nice if this was still available on the app store.

Go to Manage next to Your Services, tap your Spotify account, and tap Reauthorise Account. Just in case…

Thanks but i have already tried that a few times to no avail. However, a couple of weeks later, strangely it now seems to be working, albeit slightly slow to access the albums list. I shall keep monitoring the situation. 🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DavidEC 

Understood - thanks for letting me know you do not have a family Spotify account - I’ll let someone know.

I’m glad to hear the web app helped, and that the service is working largely as expected, now - thanks for updating the thread.

Although this aspect now seems to be working there are, as noted elsewhere in this forum, plenty of other bugs in this app. Some of those that are really annoying are:

The app is  generally very sluggish. For instance, when waking the iphone which already had Sonos running, it takes up to 40 seconds to re-sync with the currently playing Spotify track. Response to Play and Pause controls is also very slow.

Volume  slider has a mind of it’s own. Slide it up to increase volume, the number will briefly show the new setting then  it will either  revert to the previous setting and stay there or eventually come up to the new setting.

This is just a sample and I must say I don’t find the new app very intuitive. I also have an old ipad with the old app (As it has unsupported OS for the new app) so I am still able to use that sometimes which has made me realise how superior it was to the latest offering.

PLEASE, PLEASE CAN WE HAVE THE OLD APP BACK, at least until the new one is ready for proper release.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Try updating to today’s app release to see if it makes the experience any better (and also then Check for Updates in the app too, if you didn’t update the firmware last week). 

But in terms of speed and connectivity, I would certainly then turn off your router and speakers at the wall, and turn off your phone. Reboot the router fully, then turn on the speakers one at a time (letting each get to white light), then turn your phone back on again...

I have a Spotify Family subscription and have been unable to browse Spotify using the Sonos 1 app on an iPhone 13.  It used to work and stopped a couple months back.  An ETA to fix this issue would be appreciated.

This reminds me of when Sonos bricked the CR100 which I NEVER had a problem with!!!!!