Answered

Unable to browse music - Youtube Music

• 30 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I recently bought a couple of Sonos-speakers, having heard a lot of positive things about the brand. I connected them to my YouTube Music-account and everything worked flawlessly, until this weekend.

Suddenly I only get a message that says “Unable to browse music” when trying to open my start page or hitlists. I try to google a bit, and after trying to both delete/add account and reauthorize without success I decide to contact Sonos support.

Sonos support tells me to try the same old reset this and that, and proceeds to say that there is nothing wrong on their part, I have to contact Google because the issue stems from my account.

Google tells me that they don’t have anything to do with the Sonos-app, so I have to contact Sonos support.

So what am I supposed to do?? Am I the only one with this problem concerning YouTube Music?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 February 2024, 10:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Danninoi 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of the issues you’ve had trying to get this problem sorted out. I am currently listening to YouTube Music on my own Sonos system, so there is no current service outage.

The standard step to try with a different service would have been to test your system with one of our test accounts - in the case of YouTube Music, however, extra authentication requirements make this unworkable, so we are left to other troubleshooting methods.

Please try a reboot of everything - unplug your Sonos speakers and your router from power. Once the router has been off for at least 30 seconds, turn it back on and wait for WiFi to return. Once your phone is reconnected, turn on your Sonos devices once more and wait for the white light to stop flashing on each, then test playing YouTube Music.

If that does not help, I recommend changing your DNS server setting in the router’s configuration pages. To do so, you’ll need to open a browser and type in this address: http://10.0.0.138 (this link should also work).

I don’t know which router you have and would probably not be familiar with it anyway, but the DNS Server setting is most likely to be found in the DHCP configuration page, which itself is most likely found in the Network page(s).

Please change your current Primary DNS server to 8.8.8.8, which is Google’s own.

Once the setting is saved, please reboot the router again, as described above. Once WiFi returns, wait another minute, then test playback again.

If it does not play, please submit a support diagnostic immediately after attempting playback and let me know the number given. Thanks.

I hope this helps.

Edit: you may find the following thread of help:

Userlevel 1

Okay, this is my bad, I forgot to specify that I am able to play music through search and previously played.

What doesn't work is accessing my personal content from the YouTube Music start page, new releases, hit lists and so on. I am unable to browse through this stuff in the Sonos app.

So I'm perfectly aware that YouTube Music is working, but the integration with the Sonos app is not working correctly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Danninoi 

Understood. As I’m looking at those mentioned sections of YouTube Music in the Sonos app myself and see no issues, I think the problem you’re having may relate to you using a family account. I have a technical meeting later today - I will bring this up to see if we can investigate further. I added to my post after initially posting - you might not have seen the link I added to the end? That thread’s Best Answer relates to specifically using the primary account on a YouTube Family account, which may help you.

Userlevel 1

I did no see the link at first glance no, sorry for that.

Unfortunately, the problem persists on both my primary account and the sub account. I would be very glad if you could investigate further!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Danninoi 

No problem - I did think that might be the case as I did add it after posting.

At least one person in the meeting I had was able to reproduce this issue - but with a sub-account. As a result, we will be looking into this.

However, if you see the same issue even with the primary account, then I highly recommend you get back in touch with our technical support team so they can properly document and investigate the issue with you, as we don’t see that issue in our testing. It will probably help to reference this thread to whomever you speak to, so you don’t get referred back to Google/YouTube again.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

Hi again,

Last night I decided to see if it was the family plan that indeed was the problem and cancelled the renewal of my YouTube Music subscription. This has somehow solved the problem!

Maybe you could look into this, because I'd really like to keep the family plan in the long run.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Danninoi 

Thanks for the confirmation - very useful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Danninoi 

We’ve not had any further reports of this issue, and in our own testing, we are now unable to reproduce it - if you haven’t already, it may be a good time to test things on your own system.

Please report back if you continue to see this issue. Thanks.

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Everything worked as it should after I cancelled my YouTube Music subscription, both with the main- and sub-account. I have since renewed the subscription and it is still working correctly. Hopefully it stays this way this time around! 😊