Answered

Two systems, one network - how to prevent one from being discoverable?

• 1 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi there - I’m currently trying to troubleshoot the following situation:

I’m setting up an in-office Sonos system.  We have one shared network, and we’ve set up four Sonos Fives around the office.  I am the admin for this system, and it works fine.  Separately, I set up a single Era 300 for one specific office.  It’s assigned to a different system with a different account admin, but on the same network.

If I log into my Sonos account, I only see the system that I own - the Sonos Fives - which is exactly what I want.  However, if I log into my Spotify, I can access the Era 300 and play through it.  I want to make sure that the Era 300 is not usable by anyone but the person who occupies the office/owns the system.  How do we accomplish this?

icon

Best answer by controlav 1 March 2024, 14:16

View original

4 replies

I don’t think you can solve this, even if they’re under different user-accounts, simply because Apple AirPlay devices are available across an entire subnet. One ‘easy’ answer would be to put them onto a different subnet network with their own router/controller devices or you ‘perhaps’ maybe able to solve this with features available within Sonos Pro (for Business use)… see this link:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/sonos-pro

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

TS uses Spotify Connect, not Airplay is seems. That does not mean @Ken_Griffiths ’ answer is not valid, just that the problem TS mentions also could apply to Android phones or even computers.

TS uses Spotify Connect, not Airplay is seems. That does not mean @Ken_Griffiths ’ answer is not valid, just that the problem TS mentions also could apply to Android phones or even computers.

It uses both, but I believe that only Airplay can see the devices beyond/outside a users-account credentials if they’re on the same subnet. Whereas the Sonos API/Spotify connect is linked to the same accounts. At least that’s my understanding.🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos offers no security above subnet access, so to keep your Era 300 “private” you’ll need to set up its own VLAN and put it, and the phone controlling it, on that VLAN.