Answered

tunein endless loop of commercials

• 5 November 2022
  • 33 replies

TuneIn just plays endless loops of commercials and never gets to the actual station anymore.

I don’t mind a few ads,  but an endless loop?!

it happens on almost every station I try.

I should also say that this only happens on Sonos.

it works great in my car and phone.

any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 November 2022, 14:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Stations in listening to are fine. Maybe disable the service and then re enable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Stations in listening to are fine. Maybe disable the service and then re enable?

I'm having the same problem. Disabling en re-enabling doesn't help. There must be something rotten somewhere in the communication between the radio station, TuneIn and Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Can you get the station(s) on Radioplayer? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Can you get the station(s) on Radioplayer? 

Dunno. Am only using Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Radioplayer is another streaming service, like TuneIn. Go to Services and Voice, Add a Service and select Radioplayer. Then search for your station. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Radioplayer is another streaming service, like TuneIn. Go to Services and Voice, Add a Service and select Radioplayer. Then search for your station. 

Cannot find that. Thanks for helping out, but Sonos should fix it. Or TuneIn. Or the radio station. I don't fancy jumpin’ thru hoops.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Cannot find that. Thanks for helping out, but Sonos should fix it. Or TuneIn. Or the radio station. I don't fancy jumpin’ thru hoops.

It’s the same hoop you had to jump through to set up your TuneIn account, but that’s fine; good luck. Just out of interest: have you reported the problem to TuneIn? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It’s the same hoop you had to jump through to set up your TuneIn account, but that’s fine; good luck. Just out of interest: have you reported the problem to TuneIn? 

I never had to set up a TuneIn account. In fact, I don't even have a TuneIn account, AFAIK. A couple of months ago I noticed that the music stream within Sonos wasn't the the music the radio station KWPQ FM 103.3 was broadcasting. I contacted TuneIn, I contacted Sonos, I even contacted the radiostation and after some time the problem was solved. After that experience I think it's the responsability of either Sonos or TuneIn to resolve the matter, without me or anybody else reporting it. I no longer feel like telling a company it's not doing their job the way it should. The issue TuneIn-Sonos has been brought to their attention, now it's up to them to do the rest - without customers telling them what to do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But what if you are the only one having this problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I'm not. Read the OP's post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

OK. Two people with (probably) the same problem. No description of their set up given, so no way to (try and) help on this community. You hav ethe choice to call Sonos and alert them (Maybe talk about the diagnostics you can send them) or wait until they find out there are problems -  that may be related to both your set up, so that can take a while. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

OK. Two people with (probably) the same problem. No description of their set up given, so no way to (try and) help on this community. You hav ethe choice to call Sonos and alert them (Maybe talk about the diagnostics you can send them) or wait until they find out there are problems -  that may be related to both your set up, so that can take a while. 

Thanks for your summary. Since a couple of months Sonos is aware of the issue, so is TuneIn. For the moment all anyone involved can do, is wait and see.

TuneIn works perfect on every other device I use it.  Only Sonos seems to be the issue. Even when I use “Sonos radio” which is just TuneIn rebranded.

im pretty sure it is a Sonos issue.

I’ll take a guess and say it doesn’t happen for Sonos’s newer generation of products;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks for your summary. Since a couple of months Sonos is aware of the issue, so is TuneIn. For the moment all anyone involved can do, is wait and see.

I’m surprised you didn’t volunteer this info in your first post. It would have saved folk time in actually trying to help you, if you don’t want any assistance.

It still seems odd to me that in the whole Sonos/TuneIn user community only a small handful of folk are experiencing the issue. 

I hope your wait for a fix is not too long. 

Setup:

I have 6 Sonos connects, and 3 Sonos connect amps, 1 Sonos play and 1 Sonos amp.

Apparently I’m  not based on the responses here. Furthermore it’s a streaming service.  My sonos devices don’t self generate commercials.  The firmware is the same firmware used by many other Sonos users.

So it makes no sense that I am the only one having this problem.

I’m surprised you didn’t volunteer this info in your first post. It would have saved folk time in actually trying to help you, if you don’t want any assistance.

It still seems odd to me that in the whole Sonos/TuneIn user community only a small handful of folk are experiencing the issue. 

I hope your wait for a fix is not too long. 

Possibly only some radio stations do it?  So not everyone has the issue…

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You might want to try listening to Allegro Jazz (a TuneIn radio station): no jazz music, all I hear is some strange ambient music sound. Or Jazz Radio Blues (a Sonos radio station): a continuous radio commercial is all I get to hear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

FYI: here's the link to my first posting of this issue, some four months ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gurji99 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your description is indicative of a connection issue - when TuneIn servers detect a new connection, they play the ads first. If you are hearing continuous ads, then it seems likely the connection is continuously breaking. As this is happening with multiple stations, I would therefore presume that the issue is local to you - it’s likely due to interference, but it could be that you just need to reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds.

Adding Radioplayer is a very good step to take to determine if there is indeed an issue with TuneIn - if the issue is local, then Radioplayer will have playback problems too. Radioplayer does not need an account - you just add it and play.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports about the situation.

Hi @beynym 

Your previous issue with TuneIn was related to one particular station that TuneIn was distributing the wrong playlist for, probably because the station made an error when submitting it to TuneIn. As this issue affects all stations, it’s much more likely to be local in nature. I also recommend that you too get in touch with our technical support team (after also trying a router reboot).

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @beynym 

Your previous issue with TuneIn was related to one particular station that TuneIn was distributing the wrong playlist for, probably because the station made an error when submitting it to TuneIn. As this issue affects all stations, it’s much more likely to be local in nature. I also recommend that you too get in touch with our technical support team (after also trying a router reboot).

I just rebooted my router, but no improvement. Allegro Jazz is stil broadcasting some ambient music and Jazz Radio Blues is still emitting only TuneIn commercials. These are the two affected, all other radio stations (whether TuneIn or Sonos Radio) are doing what they're supposed to do. I haven't checked all radio stations, of course. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @beynym 

These are the two affected, all other radio stations (whether TuneIn or Sonos Radio) are doing what they're supposed to do.

Then your issue isn’t quite like that reported in the original post, and therefore is likely caused by something different.

I tried to test these stations for you, but could not find either station on TuneIn or on Sonos Radio. I assume you have these stations saved in My Sonos - are you still able to find them via Search? It’s possible they’ve been removed from TuneIn (and therefore Sonos Radio), in which case attempting to play the saved favourite could well produce some unexpected results.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @beynym 

These are the two affected, all other radio stations (whether TuneIn or Sonos Radio) are doing what they're supposed to do.

Then your issue isn’t quite like that reported in the original post, and therefore is likely caused by something different.

I tried to test these stations for you, but could not find either station on TuneIn or on Sonos Radio. I assume you have these stations saved in My Sonos - are you still able to find them via Search? It’s possible they’ve been removed from TuneIn (and therefore Sonos Radio), in which case attempting to play the saved favourite could well produce some unexpected results.

Allegro Jazz was situated in My Sonos, but no longer in TuneIn, so maybe you're right about this one. On the other hand, Jazz Radio Blues still is to be found in TuneIn and in Sonos Radio, and it's playing TuneIn commercials continuously.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @beynym 

I still get no matching search result for Jazz Radio Blues, except for via myTuner - and it plays from there without issue. As myTuner doesn’t require a login, it will only take a moment for you to add the service, search and find Jazz Radio Blues and save it to My Sonos. From then on, there will be no difference in how you go about playing that station. There won’t be any TuneIn ads either, though myTuner may have their own.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @beynym 

I still get no matching search result for Jazz Radio Blues, except for via myTuner - and it plays from there without issue. As myTuner doesn’t require a login, it will only take a moment for you to add the service, search and find Jazz Radio Blues and save it to My Sonos. From then on, there will be no difference in how you go about playing that station. There won’t be any TuneIn ads either, though myTuner may have their own.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your help, I might give MyTuner a try. I'll insert a image, showing Jazz Radio Blues in My Favourites: both versions, TuneIn and Sonos Radio. I muted it, had enough of their ads.