Troubleshooting while listening to music system turns on and off

• 21 November 2020
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

One room constantly turns on and off 10 seconds at a time about every three minutes While listening to music it has four connection to Wi-Fi it’s plugged in and working fine other than

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Jlew, welcome to the Sonos community and we appreciate you for letting us know your concern. Let me help you with this.

I'll be asking some questions to further assist you on this and will give you some of the suggested troubleshooting steps that you can follow.

1. When did the issue start happening?
2. Any changes that happened on the network/outage/power surge?
3. On which speaker are you experiencing the issue? During group or individual playback?
4. Do you experience the issue during the TV playback, music playback, or local music library?
5. Is the speaker usually wireless or wired?
6. Have you tried rebooting your network devices and all your Sonos speakers?

Please try to play music to test the playback for a few minutes then run a diagnostic. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you have any questions about this, feel free to reach out. We and the community are always here to help.

There has been no changes to our system no power outage I have rebooted everything this is in the room with my sound bar, subwoofer and two play ones. the sound bar is wired directly into the Internet it started about three weeks ago and it does not happen during TV only when streaming music it just goes silence for 5 to 10 seconds and then randomly starts playing again and happens every 30-60 seconds 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Jlew, thank you for your quick reply and for providing additional information about your concern. To check your Sonos system, please start a music playback for a few minutes and submit a diagnostic report. Please include the confirmation number in your response. You may also reach out to our Sonos Customer Care support team to assist you. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Hello here is the confirmation number for the submit diagnostics request 1692520354

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Jlew, thank you for your response and for providing the diagnostic report. Let me help you out with this. 

Based on the diagnostic, your Sonos system detected out of sync with your network, and your Sonos speakers have been up for 60 days. Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps, to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection. 

1. A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  2. Change SonosNet channel
    • Changing the wireless channel is a troubleshooting step in reducing wireless interference.
    • Settings tab, select System > Network > SonosNet Channel > Change the wireless channel to 11
    • Observe your Sonos performance.
  3. If you have access to your router settings, below are the settings that need to be verified. You can contact your Interner Service Provider or router manufacturer for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • UPnP should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

If you're still having the same issue, please contact our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model for each device. Our phone support can perform real-time troubleshooting using their tools to address the issue. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.