Skip to main content
Question

Troubleshooting NAS Library Disappearance on May 24

• 29 May 2024
  • 6 replies

So despite the upgrades and issues with playlists and queues, I had managed to see my entire library on a NAS on the updated app. Then suddenly, on Friday, the Library disappeared and I can no longer see any songs, artists, albums, etc.

HOWEVER, Sonos is still pulling from the library to play the Playlists that are still showing up. In other words, the old playlists are there and the songs on those playlists are playing, but now I can’t browse through my library alphabetically to play an album. Not that I was happy about losing search and playlist generation capabilities, but at least I could PLAY my library by scrolling through thousands of albums alphabetically.

What happened on Friday?

Before Friday, I was able to build new queues via Sonophone while waiting for functionality to return, but now I can’t see anything in my library to do that.

I have 4 speakers: 2 ERA 100, 2 Play 1. All are Sonos S2, Version 16.2, build 79.0-52294

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17.5.1
NAS is Synology

The housekeeper unplugged my NAS (I think) and router on Friday morning because my internet went down when she was vacuuming that room and I later discovered the NAS wasn’t on. I later rebooted. It wasn’t until Friday evening, though, that I discovered the missing Library.

Any advice?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Unfortunately, this is what you get right now.  I found myself in the same situation, with the caveat I hadn’t tried to access the media from an old playlist as I rarely utilize the Sonos native feature(s) due to the S1/S2 debacle.  When I dug up and old playlist that connects to my NAS it played the track.  Wild.  And quite unacceptable as the app is obviously accessing the device but provides no way to configure this setting, access the device to browse, and concurrently without the ability to adjust WiFi configs… if this isn’t malicious it’s disfunction at dangerous levels.  Furthermore there was no app update today meaning they are sticking to their early June deadlines they set themselves and showing no rush to remedy this situation or saturate its user base.  

I think the end users are disillusioned and the company is fumbling in a lot of areas, but that was masked by a pretty stable environment.  Since that stability has been removed users are left to make their own opinions of their UX (trash UI aside) and in retrospect that experience been a bit fraught over the years. 

TL:DR you’ll get your full library functionality back in June, most likely.  You’ll get no explanation about two months of criminal mismanagement.  You’ll receive in-app ads about new products until you purchase them. 

I had a similar experience over the past week. My Library seemed to move closer to death with every app update, from Mac to iPhone to iPad, much like the arrows hitting Boromir one by one.

Finally it was gone, along with the very settings, except when the Mac app showed a blank text box. Re-entering the NAS address did nothing.

And oddly, there is one Sonos Playlist I made by hand that still plays, like a haunted old pipe organ in the abandoned circus.

And like other horror sequels, e.g. the S1/S2 affair, I’ll come crawling back to take Sonos’ axe in the chest. Again. Expect dollars to burst forth from the wound.

I am having the same issue with my NAS and am not at all happy about it.  I use this daily and now it is non functional.   Not acceptable.  

Userlevel 2

So here’s an update as of Noon on May 29, with the steps I’ve taken but I still can’t get my music library to show up on Sonos app.

Late afternoon May 28, I was able to connect with a Sonos rep via the support chat. According to Raul, the problem is/was with the SMB version on my Sonology NAS, or with Mac computers. He was not helpful at all. Gave me the standard line about no longer support SMBv1. I asked him where do I update to SMBv2. He said that’s between me and Apple. I said wrong answer. He said: any other questions? I asked for recommendation for alternatives to Sonos. Chat ended and despite instructions, I was NOT able to save the chat because review my support call window popped over it and the save chat option disappeared.

Not being a tech bro guru, I waited until this morning to dig into Synology NAS and see what I could do. I spent an hour in Synology DMS updating the NAS operating system and made sure SMBv2 and/or SMBv3 are the only options in the NAS settings. the SMBv1 was still an option as of last night, but that is now disabled in the NAS. I had no idea what I was doing but went through all the settings and seemed to get the SMBv2 or v3 issue resolved.

Given that I THINK I have resolved the SMBv2 issue that Raul said was the problem, then I SHOULD be able to see my music library on the NAS.

I don’t run this music library through iTunes--just audio files in the music library--so I see no reason why Apple would be involved here. Would seem to be that Sonos and NAS server should be connected to each other and able to communicate directly. I don’t have any desktop controller or even know where to find one for Mac. When I’ve looked in App store nothing shows up as a desktop app.

Any further ideas?

The Music Library smb is a quagmire - nobody has any definitive fix or methods on how to revive the setup, certainly not using the current app.  

You'll just have to wait as and until it gets fixed. 

Userlevel 2

The Music Library smb is a quagmire - nobody has any definitive fix or methods on how to revive the setup, certainly not using the current app.  

You'll just have to wait as and until it gets fixed. 

Thanks. Apparently, Raul does not know this, but I suspect no one at Sonos has a clue what’s going on.