Answered

Trouble streaming

• 23 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Lately, it has happened at certain times of the day when streaming radio on Sonos (TuneIN), I lose the connection. Sometimes I hear signals from another devices in the group. It's almost like it's a bad internet line, but I have fiber with 1GB both ways, so capacity shouldn't be an issue here. Have tried changing to different channels in the app without this helping the problem. I have tried to change radiochannels and to stream from Aplle music, with the same problems. Any ideas what the problem is?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 October 2023, 17:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Remember, you’re dealing with the internet connection between your speakers and your router, so the speed of the router to outside sources (that fiber 1Gb) doesn’t normally play in to this issue. 

That being said, you haven’t told us anything about your internal network setup. Are the speaker on your WiFi directly, or is at least one device wired. If they’re on your WiFi, it could easily be an issue with wifi interference , I’d encourage you to read the linked FAQ and apply as many of those solutions as possible. 

Another possibility, if your devices are either wired or on your WiFi, is simple IP address duplication, caused by your router handing out ‘bad’ IP addresses every time the Sonos reboots at every software update. This is easily tested by unplugging all Sonos devices, then rebooting your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to reload its software, then plug back in your Sonos devices. If this ‘fixes’ the issue, I’d encourage you to set reserved IP addresses in your router for at least your Sonos devices. Instructions on that process are usually in the router’s manual. I’ve done this, several years ago, which stopped my issues with dropouts.

All devices on wifi. 2 floors with a mesh-box. What is strange is that I can listen to the radio for hours, and then the problem starts suddenly, so I don't think it is an IP conflict we’re talking about here, but thanks for the reply. I'll check out the other tips :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What is your DHCP IP renewal interval set to and are any of your Sonos being renewed when you see the issue?

Most routers don’t have a good DHCP log so the above can be difficult to find.

I spent many hours looking for other solutions before I set the static/reserved IP addresses and solved my issues.

If you are concerned about the reserved IPs being an issue, the good news is that can be removed with just a couple clicks each so the risk is very low.

I’d say the risk is zero, not very low. It’s only smart LAN administration.