Skip to main content
Answered

Transferring Sonos Library to New iMac

• 12 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Well, I’m not a huge fan of change but, I’m in the midst of it since we upgraded my wife’s iMac recently. Her’s was running El Capitan (don’t judge me) because… it worked for what she/we used that computer for.

I simply copied the 38GB Sonos library folder to a Crucial SSD drive and then ejected It from the old iMac and plugged it into one of the new iMac’s Thunderbolt ports. I planned on leaving that SSD plugged into the new iMac and redirect the Sonos S2 app’s path to that folder. No such luck. I wasn’t allowed to do it. After much frustration, I reformatted the drive while plugged into the new iMac and dedicated it as her Time Machine drive. (note: the Sharing/Permissions rigamarole didn’t really have an effect on creating access)

My question is: IF I purchase a new SSD, format it while connected to the new iMac and then add the Sonos folder to it, do you think I can create the new path for the Sonos app to connect to it? I feel much of the problem lies with Apples OS but, I’m an old dog learning new tricks so there’s that. Frustrating that what once worked using a dinosaur Mac and OS no longer works with the latest tech.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It might be worth trying this, if not tried already…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/no-tracks-from-mac-usb-drive-in-sonos-music-library

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Thanks, Ken. I’ll give it a whirl. I appreciate your reply and suggestion.