Answered

TP Link Deco XE75 Mesh not working with Sonos

• 4 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

My previous setup was an old Orbi mesh router hardwired to my ARC and then my entire system (9 speakers) were on the Sonosnet system. It worked really well.

I recently purchased the TP Link Deco XE75 6e Mesh router. I hooked up the ARC to the main router and the arc says WM:0. However, the rest of the speakers are on wifi WM:1. When I try to disable my wifi on the other speakers it comes up with an error. Also my other speakers are not staying connected via wifi. Sometimes I have to force close my app to get the speakers to show that they are connected.

I’d really like to use the Sonosnet system and get all the speakers off my wifi. Anyone have success with this TP Link Mesh system?

If not, I’m thinking about returning the TP-Link. Does anyone have any recommendations for a wifi 6e mesh system?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 January 2023, 18:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Two suggestion, the first if you have neither a Roam or Move.

Remove Wi-Fi credentials from the Sonos controller, so the speakers are unaware of your Wi-Fi.

Power cycle the speakers. Sometimes they need that extra ‘nudge’ to move from WM:1 to WM:0.

The software, as I understand it, is designed to use the lowest ‘cost’ path to where it’s trying to go. You are just trying to remove one path. 

Badge +1

Two suggestion, the first if you have neither a Roam or Move.

Remove Wi-Fi credentials from the Sonos controller, so the speakers are unaware of your Wi-Fi.

Power cycle the speakers. Sometimes they need that extra ‘nudge’ to move from WM:1 to WM:0.

The software, as I understand it, is designed to use the lowest ‘cost’ path to where it’s trying to go. You are just trying to remove one path. 

I did try that last night and it didn’t work. I may try again today when I get home. I even did a full system reset of the SUB and added it to the system from new. It would only let me add the sub if i entered in my Wi-Fi credentials. 

So unplug all speakers for 10 seconds and then plug them all back in. Should I unplug the ARC too that is connected via ethernet?

Sure. It can’t hurt.

You should also make sure that wifi is turned on for the Arc. Even though you have it wired, It uses a 5Ghz wifi signal to communicate with the Sub and Surrounds. The only reason that they would ever want to try to connect to your own wifi signal is if the wifi sugnal on the Arc itself is turned off.  And if it’s on, in the controller, turn it off, wait a minute, then turn it back on.

FYI: have just made same change Orbi to XE75 PRO satellite hardwired to my switch in AP mode.

I had a Boost connected to a port on the satellite and another Boost on my switch and have ended up with an Ethernet loop through the Boost which was freezing my network/Sonos and/or dropping the connection speeds to 100Gb.

I only spotted this when I removed the hardwired backhaul from the satellite XE75 only to find it was still reporting a wired backhaul. Now I have removed the Boost the correct operation is appears restored both via a wireless or Ethernet backhaul

The point that might be relevant is that it is the mesh traffic from the XE75 that appears to go via this route as well as the Sonos traffic as it provides a lower ‘cost’ path in some circumstances giving two simultaneous connections to the satellite; hence the problems!

I had spotted slowdowns on my Orbi configuration that I could never track down my suspicion is that my Netgear switch might somehow play better with the Orbi but with the XE75 the problem became more clear! The problem with the XE75 became better defined rather than intermittent when I switched my hardwired connections to my Vigor 2927 and it shutdown the port this should have been a clue

Based on this check what alternative paths for all your traffic SonosNet might be causing as suggested by Airgetlam.

Chris

Had the same issue with my XE75 that i got last week. 

Go to Wifi settings of Deco app, (I had mine default at WPA2).  Change it to WPA/WPA2, then save.

Sonos app found my speaker :)

Hope that helps.