Too many playlists?

• 26 December 2020
  • 5 replies

I’ve been running my playlists imported from itunes, and the system has suddenly decided there is no room to update my library or even retain the playlists it had last week.  I’m using a connect:amp with sub and two play:1 speakers.

Error log:

Saturday, December 26, 2020 - 12:01 PM Alaska
There is not enough room to import all playlists. Please delete some playlists and update the music index.

Saturday, December 26, 2020 - 12:02 PM Alaska
There is not enough room to update your music library. Please remove unused queues or saved playlists and try again.”

I have fewer than 10,000 songs in my entire library, and maybe 30 playlists of 10-50 songs each.  From everything I’ve read, this should be well within Sonos’ capabilities.  Sonos tech support is carefully crafted to prevent me from actually asking for help.  Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MischaC,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thanks for reaching out to us about your concern and letting us know what you have done so far. 

Let me ask a few questions to help you out with this.

• When did the issue start happening?
  • Any changes in the network recently like a new router?
  • On which speaker are you experiencing the issue? All or specific? During group or individual playback?
  • Any troubleshooting steps are done before contacting us?
  • Sonos only supports XML, M3U, WPL, and PLS playlist files created with software like Apple iTunes Music.
  • Make sure that the Playlist file name does not begin or end with "_" (underscore).

To investigate further on this, I'd be requesting you to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos systems for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. We’ll wait for your reply.

1.  Within the past week.  I may have added a new album or two, but I haven’t created any playlists during that time.
  2. No.
  3. All.  It happens in both the Sonos mobile player and the PC application.  I upgraded the apps to Sonos S2, and the problem persists.
  4. Googled the issue, deleted a few playlists from iTunes, factory reset on my connect:amp.

Weirdly, two playlists show up on “imported playlists” even when Sonos doesn't import any from iTunes or elsewhere on my computer.  I vaguely remember a time when Sonos allowed storing these two playlists on the hardware itself, but I can’t find a way to remove them if that's the case.  Nothing shows up under “my Sonos” except a single streaming music station.

Despite saying it cannot update, Sonos does update my music library; it simply delivers the error message and won’t import playlists.

Diagnostic is 360306254, and it’s under my Sonos account for this e-mail.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MischaC,

Thanks for your response and for updating us. Upon checking the diagnostic there are no issues found in your Sonos system. I checked your local music summary and it’s currently using 100% memory. This means that you won’t be able to add or import another playlist in your music library. I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent working with me At this point, I recommend contacting our phone support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps and to check what’s going on with your music library.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Where can I go in the Sonos application to monitor my available space?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MischaC

Thanks for your quick response. There's no option for you to check the memory usage of your music library in the Sonos app. A Sonos music library has a 65,000 track limit. The limit can be reached by either track count, or by memory usage. The memory limit can be reached prior to 65,000 tracks if there is a large amount of metadata. The only way that we can check it is through the diagnostic report. It would be great if you can see the number of tracks in the Sonos app. We can make sure to pass along this request to the team. We have no information to share with you at the moment. You may check out the community announcement for any feature releases and updates.  

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions, additional feature requests, or concerns. We are always happy to help out.