Answered

Tidal content not playing in Atmos

• 11 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

This week, Tidal have started offering high-res and Atmos streaming to lower-tier customers.

I can see plenty of albums available in Atmos via the app on my phone, but can’t get Atmos content playing from Tidal on my Sonos surround setup (Beam gen 2, Sub Mini and two Play 1s).

Amazon Music plays Atmos content just fine through Sonos (my test album at the moment is Slowdive’s excellent ‘Everything Is Alive’), but if I try the same tracks via Tidal, either through the Sonos app or Airplaying via the Tidal app on my phone, I’m just hearing regular stereo.

Will this require an update from Sonos to make Tidal’s Atmos content work on my Sonos setup, or are am I missing something very obvious?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 11 April 2024, 21:15

View original

5 replies

Tidal would need to make their atmos tracks available to play through Sonos.  Sonos may be involved in helping them get that setup and tested, but it’s ultimately up to Tidal to get done.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks for that! I suppose it’s just a matter of waiting for Tidal and Sonos to get it worked out, then. I haven’t seen anything official from either side on this particular topic, but I’ll keep an eye out.

👍

Badge

Hi. 

please Sonos update your app to decode Tidal Dolby atmos tracks. 🙏

I thought they had, since Apple sends Atmos tracks through Sonos? Isn’t it Tidal who needs to update their end?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi. 

please Sonos update your app to decode Tidal Dolby atmos tracks. 🙏

Sonos IS ready as you can use Atmos music on Sonos with Apple and Amazon. 
It‘s on Tidal to get it working…

They still use their „old“ direct control for Sonos. If they would change their Sonos implementation to „Tidal Connect“ that imo will also include Atmos music and UHD Stereo up to 24/48. 

It‘s a matter of what they deliver to the Sonos API from their side.