Skip to main content
Question

tidal

• 24 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Before the app update, I was able to cast Tidal to my Sonos system. I mainly went to all tracks and played on shuffle.

But since the update, they no longer play nicely together. They don't even work individually. Both Tidal and Sonos have suffered.

I can see the Sonos speakers when go to cast music from Tidal but it only connects for a brief second. Can't be the Tidal app as it can cast to my Chromecast.

That's a big problem as the Tidal controls in the new Sonos app lack key functions the old app had

- In Tracks, I can no longer play more than one at time. I have to manually add them one by one to the queue or to a playlist. I lost the ability to shuffle all tracks and play which I used ALL THE TIME.

- I can no longer add or delete songs to playlists in Tidal from the Sonos app (which is necessary since I can no longer cast from Tidal).

- I've also been having issues with Sonos speakers dropping the internet connection that I never used to have 

I've been patiently waiting for any of these issues to be fixed but I'm losing faith in two companies that met my needs.

I'm tempted to ditch both services.

But why should I ditch Tidal when it worked fine with the old Sonos app?

And if I do, there's likely to be issues with Sonos such as latent sound volume control. So maybe I should stick with Tidal and get rid of my expensive investment in Sonos?

Please tell me there is hope coming in the near future. Or else my Sonos has just become an expensive radio.

Edit: 

Forgot some things

- no widget for the Pixel

- unable to play more that 1 top tracks from an artist or an "artist radio"

If I could cast from Tidal that would solve nearly all my issues.

Moderator edit: combined posts

3 replies

Userlevel 2

I wish I could help, although I am sure the problem is not Tidal. There is some issue with the New “improved?!” Sonos App and how it is interacting with Tidal.

I am also struggling with Tidal in the new Sonos App. Here is the thing:

1. With the S1 App on 2 x Play 5 (1st generation now unplayable in new app) I can use S1 App to stream from Tidal. I can also open Tidal and connect to my 2x Play 5.  I can do this with both my Samsung S20FE phone and my PC.  PERFECT I LOVE IT
  2. With the New SONOS App I keep getting a message saying “An error occurred with TIDAL. Please try again later.” Does this mean the problem will fix itself? How much later? I have waited hours, the next day and still I am told the same! 
  3. I cannot play Tidal through to SONOS speakers on New App even though I can see them in Tidal to select.

I have turned router off and back on, I have re-installed the new SONOS App and connected to my system again, I have reinstalled Tidal. All to no avail. So please don’t suggest to do this again as it didn’t work.

Also please don’t tell me to call support as I have now been on hold for 40 mins listening to unbearably awful music and the nice lady telling me to go on SONOS site that has answers to all common questions and how good SONOS radio is!

Where do I go now?

Are KitchenerGuy and I the only people having a problem connecting to Tidal?

Userlevel 2

Well, I seem to have just solved my own problem! At least for now.

I removed Tidal music service from the new SONOS app and then added it again and it worked!

I seem to be back to “normal”. I can select and play music from Tidal on the SONOS app and I can play music by selecting SONOS speakers in the Tidal app.

Maybe a better message than “An error occurred with TIDAL. Try again later.” might be “New App is flaky as hell. Disconnect Tidal and re-connect and it should work? :-)

I finally have direct control from Tidal as I desired that I lost with the Sonos app update. I tried removing Tidal from Sonos  as suggested here but that didn't help. So I decided to uninstall the Tidal app and it now connects to Sonos allowing me all the Tidal functionality that I'd been missing. I hope that means I'm back to my preupdate experience.