Skip to main content
Question

the speakers randomly vary the volume and sometimes reduce it to zero

• 27 June 2024
  • 5 replies

After the last update, randomly, I find the speakers (Arc, One, Beam) at a different volume than the one I left them at and sometimes I notice the green light that corresponds to the mute. are you aware of the problem? the app is slow, doesn't see all Spotify playlists and now this problem too. I invite the technical department to urgently resolve at least the volume problem.

Thanks 

Luca

5 replies

Thanks for the reply. I have already restarted the speakers and also the router. I haven't changed anything in my configuration. I now notice other posts from other users relating to this problem, so I would say that it is a behavior related to the latest updates and should always be resolved with an update.

Thanks 

Luca

Not sure what reply you’re speaking of, unless that is sarcasm. Since you’re experiencing this issue, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it. The customer service rep would then be able to tag your diagnostic, and forward it as a case study (I assume) to a programmer tasked to fix the issue. Even if others have said they’re submitting, I’d still do it, it’s possible that there may be variations in the data, pointing to more than one single issue. 

Sonos, as explained in the Diagnostics - How do they work? thread, doesn’t normally look at submitted diagnostics unless they’re followed by a call to Sonos Support afterwards. 

The problem occurs randomly and it happens that the speakers are at a different volume from those I had set them at, I don't see how I could report the problem to technical support within 10 minutes unless I spend all day staring at the app screen to check for any changes in volume. It's not sarcasm, it's the causal nature of the problem that makes this solution difficult to apply. Furthermore, given that there are several similar reports in the forum, it seems logical to me to think that the problem is linked to recent updates.

Logical, but anecdotal data has rarely been useful to code teams that I’ve worked with in tracking down bugs. 

I don’t know how Sonos diagnostics work (are they time based? Or do they store the last 100 commands? Is it some mix of these, dependent on what data is stored?) but I’d think some hard data would be better than none. I wouldn’t just assume that your information might not be helpful…it might be the key to tracking down this problem, and help in figuring out how to fix it. 

I'm having this issue as well. I have a Five in my office that gets set to 0 overnight and it's rather annoying after using it daily at the same volume for over a year.