Skip to main content

The new app doesn't do ANYTHING well

• 25 May 2024
  • 3 replies

First, it can take up to 60 seconds to register any of my devices. I just have to wait to connect to literally anything.

Second, grouping is a damn nightmare. It was simple and easy and now I have to search everything to find anything. 

Third, the room groupings now require you to slide right? So much worse. 

Fourth, connections are difficult to begin and end. Connect my office speaker? Better give it a minute or two if I want to switch it to my bedroom, sometimes playing two different songs at the same time. Both from my device. Don't even know how that happens.

Five, the entire design became chunky like its 2006 or something. Like I'm a play school child.

Every time I want to play music I have to fight my damn system. No joke, I'm looking into other options. Almost impossible to use without overwhelming frustration. Running cable from my record player would be preferable.

I don't need replies to this, I'm just about ready to throw my phone across the room every time I want to listen to my music. If it's like this in a month I'm selling everything on eBay.

EDIT: And also, it seems to hate Spotify now. When I try to do the connections through spotify, they never occur. Maybe if I restart my phone or both of the apps, but never just works. It used to work.

The music is coming from both my phone and my speaker now. If I try to pause it, it stops my phone but I literally can't stop the music from coming out of my speaker. What the f*** is going on?

EDIT 2: And it's still connected to my office! It won't disconnect!

EDIT 3: I swear I'm not making this up. I currently have a speaker upstairs that I cannot turn off, a set of speakers on my main floor that are controlled by the Sonos app, and my phone playing music controlled by spotify. All different parts of the same song. And the connection in my office speaker is going in and out. It would be laughable if it weren't so damn expensive and didn't work perfectly two months ago.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

And to my first point, it takes up to 60 seconds to register my system EVERY SINGLE TIME I OPEN (OR SWITCH BACK TO) THE APP.  

60 second wait to change speakers, to change volume (and there's a 3-10 sec additional lag between changing the volume on the app and it actually changing in the room!), start and stop music, everything. It's like it reloads every single piece of information every time I need to interact with my system.

FYI: If anybody was thinking that maybe playing music together with your family for multiple devices was still something you could do, it is most definitely not.

Well done Sonos, you have really reached a new level of stupidity here. 
I am sure that you are patting yourselves on the back for a ‘great new design’ but really? If the app actually worked it would be something. I could ignore the terrible UX if it didn't take so long to connect to my devices. 
Could I recommend Sonos?

Definitely not.