System administrator has set policies to prevent this installation

• 24 February 2023
  • 6 replies

This is the error i get when trying to install Sonos 70.4-35282

I have modified group policies, registry modifications, increases my privileges to Admin. 

I am running Surface Pro 9 w/ Windows 11 Pro and can install all types of software without any issues. But Sonos….is a deny every time.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Where are you getting the PC app from? Make sure it is from the Sonos site. It is currently 71.something.

If problems persist, try my Windows app :-) which is UWP and doesn’t care about admin or not.

I have the same problem downloading S2 app from the Sonos website.  I am trying to download to a new Hp Eny laptop running Windows11 22H2 that has the Smart App Control turned on.  If the download is being rejected by the Smart App Ctrl that would be because this app is identified as “untrustworthy”, with no “valid signature”.  Or, is it some other setting?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Where are you getting the PC app from? Make sure it is from the Sonos site. It is currently 71.something.

If problems persist, try my Windows app 🙂 which is UWP and doesn’t care about admin or not.

@AlanNB The same questions apply to you. Did you get the app from https://support.sonos.com/downloads ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Oh interesting, it looks like this is indeed “Smart App Control”, though why it blocks the Sonos installer isn’t obvious as it is digitally signed.

My Window 11 device doesn’t let me enable this feature, which is good by the sounds of it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/what-is-smart-app-control-285ea03d-fa88-4d56-882e-6698afdb7003

There is no way to disable this feature to allow an app to install. But you can disable the entire feature, and you can’t ever enable it again.

I know that I can off Smart App Control, but I have been reluctant to do it because it cannot be turned back on, ever, without reinstalling Windows, a process that would clean out all apps.  So, I would never be able install S2.  I do appreciate that you are able to state that the S2 app is digitally signed, which I imagined it would be since it is serves a very large community of hardware buyers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I know that I can off Smart App Control, but I have been reluctant to do it because it cannot be turned back on, ever, without reinstalling Windows, a process that would clean out all apps.  So, I would never be able install S2.  I do appreciate that you are able to state that the S2 app is digitally signed, which I imagined it would be since it is serves a very large community of hardware buyers.

I guess this is a secret plan to make all Win 11 Sonos users install my app instead of the official one? Hmm, I’m ok with that...