Answered

Synology Media Server is not seen by Sonos app

• 3 March 2024
  • 1 reply

I have read the threads regarding connecting Sonos to a Synology NAS. It seems that everyone can connect via adding a path to the music library. I have the Media Server application on my Synology, and my Windows PC can see it as a media server. However, my Sonos app does not see it as a media server. My Sonos app does see my Windows Media Server, though. Does the Sonos app support media servers on NAS? It appears that several people have found alternate solutions such as using Plex. I prefer not to use a workaround.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 March 2024, 00:41

View original

1 reply

There are quite a few 3rd-party DLNA/UPnP media servers that do not work with Sonos - I’ve only ever got WMS to work well, personally speaking. Looking at this older thread and others in the community…

It appears that the Synology media server is not supported. My Netgear NAS media server is not supported too.

So maybe look at implementing an SMBv2 (or higher) shared music library (which works great with my old Netgear NAS), but I do also like to use Plex aswell. My thoughts are to just forget the media server option and perhaps ‘bite the bullet’ and just go with Plex instead. 

You can read more about ‘Plex on Sonos’ here…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services/plex