Suddenly unable to play radio stations on my Sonos system - new app?

Userlevel 1

The main reason I own a Sonos system is to listen to US and Ireland radio stations, for music (bluegrass, folk etc) and current affairs (RTÉ). Suddenly a few days ago ALL of these have stopped playing, either via TuneIn or MyTuner. (They have never been available on Sonos Radio). I spent almost two hours with the online live help two days ago and she was unable to solve it, and seemed to be totally unaware of the issue previously. She suggested i would have to phone the helpline (which I avoided because of the 45 min wait) to see if it was a problem with my (relatively new) router. I looked through here and tried adding the station’s url to the TuneIn app but that didn’t work. I also deleted both apps and reinstalled - no joy.

Grant it, I’m using the old/original Play:1 and Play:5 models, but I don’;t think this is the issue?

Will I need to finally DITCH the whole system??

If so, what is the best alternative?

FUMING!

31 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same experience by many users.

It is not all integrations but many myTuner stations and some TuneIn stations have stopped working with introduction of new Sonos app.

Additionally, many service stations cannot be added to Sonos favourites as the Sonos app reports “Something went wrong - Try Again” 

It's not unusual for Sonos application development to release very buggy software with poor UX, and this was no exception. 

RTE FM 2 plays here - Spain.  This sounds like the UK issue (some court case) shutting down non-UK access.  Assume you are in UK? 

Userlevel 2

It’s down to the aggregators post Tunein losing to the music industry in the U.K. courts.

i’m still on the old S1 app and no radio service will play or even find anything outside the U.K. Even Irish stations are blocked.

Sonos need to offer their U.K. users a solution as it is unfair that only U.K. have this anti consumer problem.

It's not down to Sonos to fix this.  Try using a VPN so your system appears to be outside the UK. 

Annoyed about this as I’ve just discovered a brilliant New Zealand internet radio station which now doesn’t work. Also, the timing couldn’t be worse as this coincides with launch of their new £449 headphones, which I’ve had my eye on for the Dolby Atmos / audio-swap feature - but which a few reviews have said is very buggy and some said it just doesn’t work for them. 

Will I be buying any more Sonos products? Nope, not until they’ve straightened out these issues.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi, I’m having this issue since yesterday even though I’m using the Sonos S1 app.   I’m in Ireland and can’t play RTE Radio 1 in Sonos via any of TuneIn, Radioplayer or my tuner Radio.  I can play it in the TuneIn app. This has been an issue every so often over the last few years.  The last time it persisted, the solution was to play it in Sonos using either Radioplayer or my tuner Radio instead of TuneIn.  But those solutions are not working this morning.  

Userlevel 1

I am experiencing the same issue with RTE radio1.
Using a Sonos Play 5 from Ireland. 
I have been listening to RTE Radio 1 for years and now it’s just gone.
Strangely both RTE Lyric and RTE Gold are accessible.

Might be time to ditch the Sonos, unless a fix can be found

Anybody got any other solutions?

I’m experiencing the same thing with local radio stations since their latest app upgrade.  Some of the stations are TuneIn,  Using an original Sonos One and a Play 3.  This is not a UK issue.  I’m in Nova Scotia, Canada.

It's not down to Sonos to fix this.  Try using a VPN so your system appears to be outside the UK. 

Ummm yes it is, 

same issue in the U.S.

SONOS plase FIX this issue, untill then will NOT be buying any more sonos products!

Main reason I bought sonos was to be able to play music from any Online stream via home WiFi and not have to Bluetooth it from my phone. Now that that function is BROKEN, there is no benefit to sonos for me vs any other system!

There is a general feeling that music is “Free” on the Internet, yet the service providers are paying Internet service fees and licensing fees for their right to play the music. The fee structure has not kept pace with the costs of providing music “Free” for listeners. Many listeners are irate if there is an advertisement, but are not willing to pay for access to a service. There will be adjustments in the coming years.

I have internationally known musician friends that are struggling for income. While they pay thousands of dollars for studio time to produce a quality CD and travel to international music fests, the music services will pay a very small fraction of a cent per play.

With respect to a station limiting their geographic coverage over the Internet, this will decrease their costs to provide “Free” music to listeners who cannot contribute to the station’s income. A local radio station can sell advertisements to local businesses, but it is hard to convince a builder in a far away nation to buy an ad.

Userlevel 1

This is nothing to do with “free” music. I use my Sonos as I would a traditional radio. I have a few stations that I listen to regularly- RTE Radio 1 being one of them. 
I am in ireland and the radio station is broadcast from ireland. Up until last week, I listened every morning on my Sonos. Now that particular station is gone. 

You could install myTuner Radio on your system. At least some of the RTÉ feeds are available to me in the US. myTuner radio help indicates that they will accept suggestions for stations to carry and they invite stations to add a feed.

Userlevel 1

Mytuner is my default app for all Sonos stations and have been using that to listen to RTE Radio 1. 
however now it has just stopped. I have also tried the SONOS radio app but it’s not on that either 

You should contact RTE. 

Badge

Many of the problems with radio streams is caused by a commercial UK court decision which ruled in favour of Warner Communications and which prevents NON-UK streams being accessed in the UK using stream aggregators such as TuneIn, myTuner.   The situation with RTE is complicated by the fact that Eire is often lumped in with GB when it comes to commercial affairs.  Loss of RTE is probably collateral damage. 

Same story here in Australia - no RTE radio & I’m using the original Sonos S1 app

Userlevel 1

Many of the problems with radio streams is caused by a commercial UK court decision which ruled in favour of Warner Communications and which prevents NON-UK streams being accessed in the UK using stream aggregators such as TuneIn, myTuner.   The situation with RTE is complicated by the fact that Eire is often lumped in with GB when it comes to commercial affairs.  Loss of RTE is probably collateral damage. 

That might be the case but it doesn’t make sense that other RTE stations are still accessible - RTE Lyric FM and RTE 2 FM.

I am in Ireland.   My Sonos 5 will not play any RTE radio stations. My Bluos system will play RTE stations through Radioplayer.  Therefore I think that it is a problem with Sonos. 

I have tried uninstalling TuneIn and Radioplayer and reinstalling them but to no avail.

The wait time for a call to Sonos or for a chat is ridiculously long. Customer service very poor in this regard. Does anybody in Sonos read these messages?

Badge

I can play RTE Radio 1 using vtuner on a Naim muso qb2.  

It also plays on Sonos via myTuner

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

RTE Radio 1 playing ok for me just now on a Play 1 via S1 app and MyTuner Radio.   It hadn’t been working for he past few days.   Did Sonos change something or was it RTE that made the change?

Userlevel 1

Yep. Seems to back! Hurray

Userlevel 1

I’m delighted for you both.

Soooo ..I’m using the S2 app and looked up changing to the S1, but it warns that I have to effectively factory reset my three products. Is this wise, i wonder?? Will I be able to get all my stations and settings back etc??

VPN on my phone where the app sits or do I have to somehow connect at another level between the router and Sonos?

Same here. I like the vpn idea. Does anyone know if that’s a VPN on my phone where the app sits or do I have to somehow connect at another level between the router and Sonos?