Still struggling with MacOS Catalia and Imported Playlists

• 25 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have made updates to my playlists in the Apple Music app on the Mac.

The updates do not appear in the Imported Playlists in the Sonos controller app, not after reindexing and not after deleting the music library in the app and adding it again.

I’ve verified that the Apple Music app does have the music and library files where I assume they are - on the NAS.

Sonos 12.2; MacOS 10.15.7.

Setup/actions:

• Made changes to some playlists
  • All music and index files are on \\(server)\music\Sonos and that is where Apple Music is pointed to
  • The Music Library.musiclibrary file on the NAS in this location is the one that Apple Music updates when I do changes to the playlists (at least, the date/time stamp on it changes)
  • Updated the music index on Sones: Playlist changes not reflected
  • I have an iTunes folder under (user)\Music on the Mac itself
  • Deleted the music library on Sonos
  • Added both the local harddrive (empty) music library and the NAS library
  • After going through the indexing, the playlist did still not show the new changes

• The Sonos app has full disc acces and files and folder access
  • The SonosLibraryServer app has full disk access but not files and folder access
    (and for now, the + in that system preferences is grayed out so I don’t know how to actually add it)

What is it I am missing? What is the setting or file location or what have you that I need to change in order to have a fully functional, dynamic playlist handling?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @madseno, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know your concern as well as the steps that you did. Let me help you with this.

We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent working on this, and you have performed most of the basic troubleshooting steps to address your concern, and it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 

To further assist you on this, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps to provide you the best option. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Badge

It sort of worked after doing the procedure several times. I got the newest additions in my playlists - even if the alphabetic sorting done within iTunes did not carry over. 

Now I have added some more songs to the library. The additions appear as songs - under artist, songs, etc - but not on my playlists.

Tried to reindex - and got an error message.

Now, reading the guide, it says:

1. Now, go back to the Sonos app and re-add your music libraries in this sequence. First add your internal library (~\Music). You need to do this, even though (as in my case) you have no music stored on your internal drive.
  2. Then, still within the Sonos app, re-add the music library from your external drive.
  3. As this point, Sonos will index your music, and it will create an XML file within the ~\Music\iTunes folder. This is the file that holds your imported playlist info, which Sonos now will recognize.

The error I got was that the ~\Music library was not available. That's probably because my Mac is off.

Does this remedy mean that the Mac has to be on at all times along with the NAS??

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @madseno,

Thank you for your response and for updating us. If your music folder is located in your NAS drive, you don’t need to turn on your Mac, unless you have a current music folder linked to the Sonos app.

I really appreciate all your time and effort to get this done. At this point, I recommend reaching out to our phone support team for further assistance and to provide the best recommendations regarding this concern.

If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us, we’ll be glad to assist you.