Answered

Spotify stops for ads

• 23 June 2023
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 1

Anyone else getting the issue that when Spotify gets to an advert, then it stops?

you have to go into the app and pause and play and then it will continue. 

Everything else is working ok and no network issues, just Spotify stopping for ads. 

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 26 June 2023, 14:27

View original

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @Stretch275, welcome to the Sonos Community!

We’ve identified this issue and currently working on a fix. Unfortunately I don’t have an ETA for this.

As you mentioned, pause and play is the available workaround.

I’ll make sure to update this thread when it is resolved.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Anyone else getting the issue that when Spotify gets to an advert, then it stops?

you have to go into the app and pause and play and then it will continue. 

Everything else is working ok and no network issues, just Spotify stopping for ads. 

Is this a spotify issue or Sonos. Its getting really boring having to press pause/play evrytime the music stops. Spotify knows about it, and its not an Alexa issue i believe. We have almost stopped using both platforms now and just use our bluetooth speaker...and play what we want. Pity as it was a great way of having playlists and a good sounding speaker.

I don’t think there has been a bug-fix update since the issue here was initially reported and as Staff mentioned earlier in the thread they are aware and working on a fix (and no doubt will go onto test that the fix works)… it’s just a case of waiting, I guess, for an update/bug-fix release of the software.

I’m really curious as to how Sonos ‘knows’ there is an ad. To my knowledge, Sonos is told ‘go to this IP address, and do the account handshake, then play the stream you get back’. I’ve no idea how Sonos would get a ‘and this part of the stream is an ad’ to stop playing, unless there is additional data being sent from the originating server (and why would you want that?)

Is this another variation of the Spotify crossfade issue?

Full disclosure: I’m not a prolific Spotify user and I never use crossfade. That said, I’ve not had any  Spotify issues and I have a couple long Spotify playlists.

It’s possible that this is a regional issue? I’m in the US.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is this another variation of the Spotify crossfade issue?

Full disclosure: I’m not a prolific Spotify user and I never use crossfade. That said, I’ve not had any  Spotify issues and I have a couple long Spotify playlists.

It’s possible that this is a regional issue? I’m in the US.

All possible isn’t it. Interesting that you don’t have the issue. But we do and I know most people who use the platform with Sonos seem to as well on the free account with ads. Cannot see the benefit to Sonos to have the speaker stop playing every few minutes. That’s a massive fail of the use ability. If you play their own radio playlists the adverts work. But I bought the Sonos speaker to play my Spotify stuff also. It’s failing to do that. It’s a software or deliberate measure on one or all parties to work properly. I know many just think it’s Spotify trying to get you to pay for subscriptions and have ads removed but if they can do this ie stop your music what stops them ransoming you when you pay. It’s not beyond the wit of man ( or maybe it is) to just get together and sort the bloody issue out. I suspect it’s why Sonos now puts Bluetooth into its speakers also so that their brilliant sounding stuff can work with music you own. 

Exactly the same issue here

while ads starting my playlist stop working ( Spotify on Sonos). No problem with other AirPlay devices.

please do something I love my ads 🥸

Userlevel 1
Badge

So nos has finally won. I just play their playlists on Sonos radio. It’s like permanent elevator music. 🤑Such a shame this stuff doesn’t work. Spotify doesn’t work well with Sonos and actually provides less incentive to buy premium as they will no doubt raise the price again or brick your system. EU laws should look at this stuff carefully and make sure the consumer gets what he’s been promised. 

still no one wants to sort this mess out. We are going back to old fashioned radio on the Roberts. 

Any update on this? There are a few posts on this now. I’m not US based, it doesn’t happen when listening to Spotify directly through my ph/tablet, only when utilising Sonos. It’s been happening for months now.

Userlevel 1

Still not fixed. Any solutions Sonos? When is this fix being released? Please fix alarms too as Spotify alarms no longer work.

I’m working with another platform that can send Bluetooth to ROAM. As I establish the Bluetooth connection, the platform pops up a message that copyrighted material will not be transmitted. This seems odd to me because I assume that virtually everything available from the big music services is copyrighted. Why would anything play?

This suggests some sort of “right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing” issue. Perhaps a flag somewhere is erroneously being interpreted as “copyrighted”. In this lash up I’m not having trouble with commercials. As one track ends the next track might be muted, but the track progress indicator is running.

What worked for me is change setting in Spotify.

Change Spotify settings. Cross fade on 12 seconds. Set Continues playing ON

I’m trying the solution of 12 seconds crossfade… I also tried to connect my Roam by bluetooth instead of just WiFi… the question is that sometimes the playback doesn’t stop when ads and other times, yes. It’s really annoying.

This is a premium speaker with a poor customer service (4 months to solve this problem is really long time).

Hello @Stretch275, welcome to the Sonos Community!

We’ve identified this issue and currently working on a fix. Unfortunately I don’t have an ETA for this.

Any piece of news after four moths? thanks for a prompt reply.

Hello @Stretch275, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Wow months later and still not fixed, this is beyond ridiculous 👎🏼 So this is the "service" we get from #Sonos, wow... Just try Google and see the insane amount of people with this problem. 

So. I see this issue was in open discussion 6 months ago. 

I was forced to upgrade my system to s2 today when I added an additional play 1 speaker (2nd hand) NOW my Spotify ads stop play. 

Series 1 did not do this AT ALL! And to be honest, while I love the speakers, I Hate the software- why is it always soo difficult to set up!!!??

IE resetting speakers, I get better info from a Google search, over the Sonos app instructions. 

Also... to downgrade a speaker from s2 to s1, I have to have both s1 and s2 versions on my phone!? But today I can't add the speaker because to s2 because the rest of my system was s1.

S1 won't accept it because it needs downgrading. Then S1 app states I must upgrade my system to S2. 

Leave my music playing for my dogs while I work and now the system stops for a damn ad!! What......!!

Hey Sonos 

I just got a move and have 3k of other speakers on order. 
Has this post issue been fixed because it’s annoying the * out of me having to continually stop what I’m doing and reset it. Funny thing it’s not all ads some play and continue on. 

Also I can’t skip add after 5 seconds like I can in Bluetooth 

Disappointed that this problem has not been fixed after all these months that I can see 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Hi Rocccco. 

No response even though my enquiry offers more insight, that the problem IS a Sonos app issue, as version 1 has automatic ad play.

I'm thinking to downgrade all 6 speakers back to version 1 but it's a timely exercise.. and frustrating with the clunky software

Thankyou . Do I lose any functionality on my new system by going back to S1 ? 

Not that I've noticed. 

It's the same but autoplays ads. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No response even though my enquiry offers more insight, that the problem IS a Sonos app issue, as version 1 has automatic ad play.

Not an app issue, but a software issue on the speakers. The app is only a remote to the system.

My experience proves that the version 2 Sonos app needs a fix...

3 weeks ago, when my 5 speakers were all operating with Sonos Version 1 app, the ads automatically played. 

I could leave my Spotify list running for over 8 hours. 

Now, I added my 6th speaker and struggled to downgrade it from Sonos App version 2 to version 1, so upgraded my entire system to Version 2 Sonos app. And I'm lucky to get 40 mins of Spotify music. 

I'm having the exact same issue. Bought all original Sonos Play 1 speakers or Ikea versions. I have a free Spotify account. Can't play suggested or my own favourites playlist without the play stopping and it's always when an ad comes up. Honestly if this is solely a Sonos issue I'm definitely not impressed. I'm NOT going to consider upgrading my speakers to SONOS Bluetooth compatible ones...why would I support a brand that has provided nothing but grief? Doesn't give me any incentive for upgrading to Spotify premium either...will just go back to listening to actual radio like CKUA or CBC...

It's not a Spotify issue. 

I'm sure it's an easy fix for Sonos to allow continual play. They got it right on the first version. 

Once I've got a few hours spare Im going to reset all 6 speakers to version 1. Otherwise I'm Sonos speakers will start flying (then I'll cry coz I LOVE them!)