Skip to main content
Answered

Spotify's Discover Weekly

• 18 September 2023
  • 7 replies

I’ve been having trouble lately finding or accessing Spotify’s ‘Discover Weekly’ on Sonos. Is it just me? The algorithms seem evermore predictable. DW is often pleasantly surprising in its variety. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Quesadaman, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve had a look into my system and I’m able to access Spotify’s Discover Weekly through the Sonos app. You should be able to access it by opening the Sonos app and heading to Browse → Spotify → Scroll to the bottom → Select Playlists under Your Library → Discover Weekly. 

If you want a faster way, then when you open the Discover Weekly playlist, tap the three dots in the top corner and select “Add playlist to My Sonos”. You could also start playback from the Spotify app and cast directly to your Sonos speakers.

I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

yes and also the bigger question is why did sonos make this go away? or spotify? this was my favorite use of sonos, the discover weekly playlist algorithm is excellent, sadly apple’s still isn’t on the same level. I appreciate sonos staff giving workarounds, but really, I could cast to any much less expensive speaker system, so maybe I should have invested in home pods? I would love it if I could have access to this playlist again, it is deeply frustrating that it went away.

Talk to Spotify, they’re the one responsible for what shows up or not, in either app. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

are you sure about that? i mean, genuinely asking, how do you know that? 

Take a skim of the Sonos partners page.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ok, yup, I did and that page says *nothing* about whether Spotify, basically the reason Sonos exists for most buyers, is responsible for what shows up as playlist options. Is there something I’m missing? Can you be more specific?

You’ll need to look at the code provided to the Sonos partners. You’ll see that the Sonos controller reaches out to the server provided by the streaming company, and the controller is fed the data for display in the Sonos controller. Looking just at a single page isn’t enough, you need to delve a bit further past that single page,

At no point does the data exist on a Sonos server (with the possible exception of the HD radio, I’ve not looked at that expressly), so Sonos has no control over what their SMAPI is reading/displaying to the customer looking at the controller. The data is always fed by the server the system is connected to, not owned by Sonos.