Skip to main content
Answered

Spotify Repeat 1 keeps restarting songs

• 23 February 2023
  • 19 replies

When I play a Spotify song thru the Sonos app and put it on repeat 1 (repeat that one song) it keeps starting the song over and over after about 10 seconds each time, it never ends. I saw some old posts about this same issue but they were all closed and I didn’t see any resolutions or updates that fixed it. Is this still an issue? Anyone have a solution or update on this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @a9979,

Skipping tracks with a music service usually means there is a network connection issue present and this sounds like a buffering or sync error, where the system hasn’t received all the information it needs for the track and skips to the next track.

I’d suggest a network and system reboot, as this will refresh the connection between your network and Sonos, as well as remove anything in the systems volatile memory. Power your system off in this order for 30 seconds: Router → Additional networking devices → Sonos → Any controllers running the Sonos App.

After you’ve done the above, try putting a song on repeat to test if the issue still occurs. If so, please submit a diagnostics and reply here with the confirmation number and I’ll take a look into what’s causing this.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I rebooted my router and the issue persisted. I put a song on repeat and after it plays through once it starts over after about 10 seconds and never plays through again. 

Diagnostic #1: 1427568320  (after first time of starting over)

Diagnostic #2: 1691653161 (after a few times of starting over)

Thank you for your help. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi @a9979,

Skipping tracks with a music service usually means there is a network connection issue present and this sounds like a buffering or sync error, where the system hasn’t received all the information it needs for the track and skips to the next track.

I’d suggest a network and system reboot, as this will refresh the connection between your network and Sonos, as well as remove anything in the systems volatile memory. Power your system off in this order for 30 seconds: Router → Additional networking devices → Sonos → Any controllers running the Sonos App.

After you’ve done the above, try putting a song on repeat to test if the issue still occurs. If so, please submit a diagnostics and reply here with the confirmation number and I’ll take a look into what’s causing this.

I hope this helps!

I rebooted my router and the issue persisted. I put a song on repeat and after it plays through once it starts over after about 10 seconds and never plays through again. 

Diagnostic #1: 1427568320  (after first time of starting over)

Diagnostic #2: 1691653161 (after a few times of starting over)

Thank you for your help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @a9979,

I’ve had a look into the diagnostics and can see a few different errors, but they all relate to your Wi-Fi network. The errors I can see are: the system losing connection to the nearest access point; GroupCast failure; and a deauthorization code because the connected access point went offline.

A GroupCast failure occurs when the wireless router or access point either stops sending Multicast or Broadcast traffic to Sonos components, or it sends that traffic to Sonos using a wireless encryption key that is out of sync with the key that Sonos is using. For resolving groupcast failures, we’d recommend making these changes to your router settings:

• Disable auto channel.
  • Change the 2.4 GHz bandwidth frequency to 20 MHz only.
  • Set security type to WPA2 only.

After you’ve made those changes, reboot your network and Sonos system.

The connection between Sonos components don’t seem great overall. Would you be able to test playback with Spotify on a single speaker to see if it still skips while you have it set to repeat the same song?

This may also be a result of interference, so it would be worth reading how to reduce wireless interference on your Sonos system, and I’d recommend checking out our system requirements to ensure your network and the equipment you use isn’t unsupported.

If after following the above you’re still having issues, then I’d recommend reaching out to our support team for live assistance and troubleshooting.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi @a9979,

I’ve had a look into the diagnostics and can see a few different errors, but they all relate to your Wi-Fi network. The errors I can see are: the system losing connection to the nearest access point; GroupCast failure; and a deauthorization code because the connected access point went offline.

A GroupCast failure occurs when the wireless router or access point either stops sending Multicast or Broadcast traffic to Sonos components, or it sends that traffic to Sonos using a wireless encryption key that is out of sync with the key that Sonos is using. For resolving groupcast failures, we’d recommend making these changes to your router settings:

• Disable auto channel.
  • Change the 2.4 GHz bandwidth frequency to 20 MHz only.
  • Set security type to WPA2 only.

After you’ve made those changes, reboot your network and Sonos system.

The connection between Sonos components don’t seem great overall. Would you be able to test playback with Spotify on a single speaker to see if it still skips while you have it set to repeat the same song?

This may also be a result of interference, so it would be worth reading how to reduce wireless interference on your Sonos system, and I’d recommend checking out our system requirements to ensure your network and the equipment you use isn’t unsupported.

If after following the above you’re still having issues, then I’d recommend reaching out to our support team for live assistance and troubleshooting.

I hope this helps!

Well I’m not the most technically person so I’m not familiar with anything you mentioned router related. Also my router is thru my internet and cable provider, so they own it and set it up. I have no other issues with internet connectivity with anything else except Sonos. I did recently add a Sonos Move and Sub Mini and upgraded to S2, and I feel like this started around that time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @a9979,

I understand if you’re not sure how to make these changes yourself. You can always reach out to our support team or your internet service provider to have them make the router changes for you.

While you may not notice the issue on other devices, from the diagnostics, there are wireless interference issues present. Sonos connects across your home and must communicate back and forth with the router and your other Sonos equipment. Wireless interference is more noticeable for Sonos than for devices that just have to connect to the router, such as your phone.

Updates and new devices can bring problems that were lurking in the background to the forefront, as more devices means more connections and more potential interference paths. The steps I’ve outlined in my previous posts should help with removing and preventing those sources of interference in your system.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

HI @a9979,

I understand if you’re not sure how to make these changes yourself. You can always reach out to our support team or your internet service provider to have them make the router changes for you.

While you may not notice the issue on other devices, from the diagnostics, there are wireless interference issues present. Sonos connects across your home and must communicate back and forth with the router and your other Sonos equipment. Wireless interference is more noticeable for Sonos than for devices that just have to connect to the router, such as your phone.

Updates and new devices can bring problems that were lurking in the background to the forefront, as more devices means more connections and more potential interference paths. The steps I’ve outlined in my previous posts should help with removing and preventing those sources of interference in your system.

Would having 1 speaker wired directly to the router solve or lessen the interference?

It might help, but there’s no guaranty. It depends on which device is being impacted by wireless interference, and what device is causing it. 

It certainly wouldn’t be a bad thing, though. Wiring one speaker to a router puts the whole thing on SonosNet, which is a parallel wifi signal across a 2.4Ghz channel for only music. It can, however, be impacted by wireless interference as well. You’d always be better off to have the SonosNet channel be a different channel than your normal wifi channel. If your router is using channel 1, your SonosNet should be using channel 6 or 11, so that there’s no overlap. 

I have the same issue. It must be a Sonos app issue. I use it on my iMac and if I select repeat song on a Spotify playlist I hav the same issue - repeats the first 16 seconds over and over. Restarting your router is busy work. It's not that. If interference was an issue it would happen when I played a song(s) all the way through too. This is ONLY when I select the repeat one song. What is the real fix Sonos?

Jumping on this thread because I'm having the exact same issue. My Sonos One keeps repeating Spotify songs after only 10-45 seconds of playing. This isn't a one-off glitch either, it's been happening consistently even though I've tried different WiFi routers. 

I've gone as far as factory resetting all my speakers, but no dice - the problem's still there. What's interesting is that this only happens with Spotify. I can play stuff from YouTube Music without any hiccups. 

Anyone else dealing with this? Any tips, tricks, or ideas on how to fix this? Seems odd that it's only a Spotify issue and not WiFi, right? 

Thanks for any help!

excellent clarification - it is only with Spotify in the Sonos app. Trying to repeat one song, and only the first 15-20 seconds of the song repeat and it will keep on doing that until I turn off single repeat. There is no wifi issue, all regular playing songs stream through perfectly (no skips or issues). There is something going on between the sonos app and spotify communication. Why it is just for a single repeat is the bizarre thing. 

excellent clarification - it is only with Spotify in the Sonos app. Trying to repeat one song, and only the first 15-20 seconds of the song repeat and it will keep on doing that until I turn off single repeat. There is no wifi issue, all regular playing songs stream through perfectly (no skips or issues). There is something going on between the sonos app and spotify communication. Why it is just for a single repeat is the bizarre thing. 

In my case, I don’t even have the Spotify repeat-1 toggled on (as far as I can tell).

Same issue here! Also repeats the first +/- 16 seconds over and over when I choose the option “repeat one”

I play it from Spotify.

It must be somewhere in the Sonos app into the integration with Spotify, my home network is in top condition, I have connected all of my Sonos speakers to a Sonos Boost.

Everything is up-to-date

It only happend when I play a songs from Spotify and put it into “repeat one number”, when I disable the “repeat one” option it plays the whole song.

I have reconnect the Spotify service but that also did not help…

Hope that Sonos is reading this thread! HELP @Sonos !! @Sonos Customer 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It can’t be the app because that’s only a remote to the system. So if this is Sonos related, it’s the system software, not the app.

Sorry, i mean that! 🤣 Sonos Software in stead off app

I have the same exact issue and it only happens with Sonos ↔ Spotify. I tried the same song on repeat 1 with apple music and no issues there. So there’s something wrong with sonos ↔ spotify when you try to set the song to repeat 1. 
I am usually able to solve the issue if I start the song once again, after it started resseting after about 18 seconds. So it would be like below:

• I start a song and put it on repeat 1
  • after the song finishes, it starts repeating after about 18 seconds, constantly
  • at this time if I tap on the song to start it manually, it will repeat normally

definitely something wrong with the sonos ↔ spotify communication.

I have the same exact issue and it only happens with Sonos ↔ Spotify. I tried the same song on repeat 1 with apple music and no issues there. So there’s something wrong with sonos ↔ spotify when you try to set the song to repeat 1. 
I am usually able to solve the issue if I start the song once again, after it started resseting after about 18 seconds. So it would be like below:

• after the song finishes, it starts repeating after about 18 seconds, constantly
  • at this time if I tap on the song to start it manually, it will repeat normally

+1

SAME! This is driving me nuts. Sonos team please fix this or I will eat all the food in your fridge. -Fatmanjoe

+1

I am having the same issue. When I‘m listening to Spotify through Sonos and activate repeating of one song it plays the full song one time and skips to the beginning of the song after circa 19 seconds for each following play. 

Please fix this :(