Skip to main content
Answered

Spotify playing on an Echo keeps connecting to Sonos automatically without any interaction

• 14 July 2023
  • 9 replies

I have an issue where Spotify is playing on an Amazon Echo in the bedroom but Spotify will all of a sudden change the speaker to be our newly installed Era 100 group (kitchen and dining room group).

This is happens when no one is interacting with either Spotify, the echo or Sonos, either physically or via apps. I then have to open the Spotify app and re-choose the Echo device as the speaker. It can easily happen every 20mins or so when playing a playlist. 

This has only started since the addition of the two Era 100’s to our setup. 

In your Amazon Alexa app, check if there are any groups set up.  If so, which devices do they contain?

There are groups but none contain the Sonos and echo together. 

I have seen a similar issue to this on the Community recently. Well sort of similar.

Would you try an experiment please? Play a different source briefly on your Sonos speaker, for example Internet radio. Then play Spotify on your Echo and see  if it still jumps to the Sonos. (I think it probably will but it will be helpful to know)

I am having the same issue with my Spotify playing on different Android devices connected to different speakers (JBL Charge 5 or an old stereo via jack). Very often spotify switches from these devices to the sonos era 100 speakers (without actually hearing anything on the sonos era's). 

Have you provided any hard data, in the form of a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it? I would hope there would be something there to explain why the music is ‘shifting’

Hi @UniversalNerd 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Ordinarily, I would agree with @Airgetlam in that you should get in touch with our support team. In this case, however, it’s easy to predict that all we will be able to determine is that the Spotify app initiated playback on the speaker using the Spotify Connect feature. What we will not be able to see is why. I recommend that you contact Spotify support for help instead.

I hope this helps.

I was actually responding to @Sashumi ’s post, but it’s good advice either way. But it isn’t clear to me from that post whether or not @Sashumi is using Spotify Connect or not….

@Airgetlam ,I am both using my phone to connect directly to an JBL speaker, and using my android phone to play on an android tablet which is connected to an old stereo system. In both instances the connection seems to switch to my sonos era's. Hope this explains your question.

But i will contact spotify to see if they can help me. Hopefully they will not point to sonos...... Hope to get back on my progress soon. 

It mildly confuses me….but I’m not an Android guy. Not sure how a phone can play on a tablet that connects to a old stereo system. But it does sound like you’re using Spotify Connect, which suggests something odd in Spotify’s code base. The Sonos speaker is, at that point, merely a receiver of the data stream, there’s no real Sonos software connection going on.

I certainly can’t think of any reason why a Sonos speaker would start playing anything from a Spotify Connect connection, unless that device was currently connected to the Sonos device.