Skip to main content
Question

Spotify Friend Activity - Not recorded when output via Sonos from Spotify.

• 11 August 2020
  • 4 replies

Hey All,

Hoping someone can help, I am having an issue that I can see was reported in the past here but doesn’t appear to have a resolution as best I can see. I have copied the content of the original post and best answer below my description.

When listening to Spotify on a Sonos speaker, Friend Activity in Sonos is not updated for me or my partner (both have our own Spotify accounts). All other friends linked in Spotify activity updates regularly. With myself and my partner, when listening on any output aside from Sonos, this updates. 

Any thoughts are appreciated, please see original post and answer below, as you can see the original reporter had the same issue and there was no response after this: 

Hey guys, I really would appreciate help with this issue. When i play spotify through my sonos speakers, my play activity does now show up for my followers, when i play spotify through my computer or phone or regular speakers, it is shared as usual with my followers. So why can't my play activity be shared when using Sonons. This is such an annoying problem as I really want to display my song play activity on my friends, followers spotify window.icon

Best answer by Keith N

Hi there, Solve_Coagula. In its current form, Sonos does not report back playing information to Spotify. If you would like to keep your followers updated, the best way to go about this would be to use Spotify Connect to control Sonos while using the Spotify app.

In the meantime, I am happy to forward this along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks for the feedback!

View original

Hello and thank you very much for your reply 🙂 Actually, I am using the Spotify program on my computer to control the Sonos speakers, if that is what you mean by "Spotify Connect". On the Spotify window, right next to the volume control, there is an option where you choose different devices and so there I have chosen the Sonos speakers from which I play my music. (see attached photo) But this does not help and my play activity is still not shared with my followers. If there is anyway to fix this problem, It would be really great. Thank you in advance

” Link to thread - https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/spotify-activity-not-shared-with-my-followers-when-playing-through-sonos-speakers-6808384

Many thanks in advance! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I don’t use Spotify but I am guessing that this applies to the Spotify integration in Sonos?  If so I can’t see that ever incorporating this feature.  The solution for getting the full Spotify app experience is to use the Spotify app to play on Sonos.  That really should work, at least on the mobile app, despite the comments in original thread.

When doing so you are using the Spotify app to play to a Spotify-Connect-enabled speaker.  If that doesn’t give you the full Spotify experience, and this feature is not available, then I suspect that Spotify is the place to raise this.

Hey John, thanks for your attention and reply here. It does not, I am using the Spotify app. This is playing to my Sonos speakers via Spotify connect integrated in the mobile/desktop app, so I can’t understand what the difference is? The content is still coming from the Spotify app regardless of where it is output, so I don’t see the logic, just curious if anyone else has noticed this or has any suggestions. I will look to raise this with Spotify if that is the consensus, but given that this issue only occurs when Sonos is involved I felt this was the place to start. 

That’s fair comment, although I did go on to talk about the possibility that this might not work with Spotify Connect.  I have done a little more digging and I think it is true to say that the incompatibility here is between the Friends functionality and Spotify Connect functionality.  It is as if you can connect with the speakers or your friends, but not both at the same time.

So I think that the issue would arise with any Spotify Connect enabled speaker, whether it happens to be one manufactured by Sonos or not.  As I mentioned in my previous post, when using Spotify Connect you are barely using the Sonos system at all, just the capability of the speakers to work with Spotify Connect.

I am not certain on this, and am happy to be corrected, but if Spotify Friends is going to work with Spotify Connect I don’t think Sonos are going to be providing the solution.

Makes sense John thanks for your feedback. I will test this via Spotify Connect to a Google mini, as if the issue is the same this confirms it is Spotify connect itself at fault.