Answered

Spotify artist search not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

288 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Corry P clearly this problem is affecting a bunch of users, please could you take another look at this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav 

Although we have still been unable to reproduce this issue in our own testing, there is a growing number of related cases. Several people, including myself, brought the issue up in a meeting this morning - please be assured that it’s not being ignored.

Of course, had no-one got in touch, there would be no cases, so thank you to everyone who did get in touch, and I encourage anyone who is affected and hasn’t already been in touch to do so.

Thanks for your prompt response.

I would like to add that the problem only seems to be with Spotify. Amazon Music is working perfectly.

Thanks for your response!

For your replication attempts: this occurs for us on a S1 system, located in Germany, everything updated, with Spotify (single user premium account). Artist search fails on Android and Iphone devices as well as on desktop app in Windows 11. Interestingly, I’m getting not a single hit (artist, album etc) when searching amazon on desktop app on Windows 11, while I get normal search results on Iphone when doing the same search (“beatles”, “christmas”.) This started 5 days ago.

Same here but when I search for ‘AC/DC’ it showed some results, not for anything else, strange….

Same issue on my android phone.

Spotify on its own works fine though. 

This has been an ongoing for me since last Thursday.  I have tried everything including uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app as well as the Spotify app.  I’ve rebooted my Sonos 5 and my wifi multiple times.  My Spotify, on its own, works fine.  I can do an artist search and have not experienced any issues.  The Sonos app on my iPhone is experiencing the exact problem.  A couple of days ago I spoke to a Sonos rep who confirmed that there was definitely a problem with Spotify on Sonos and she had no idea when it would be resolved.  Endless frustrations…..

I also have the same problem in that the Sonos Desktop app is not returning search results from Spotify under Artists. It works on my iPhone though. I've just updated Sonos Desktop app to version 15.5, but it still doesn't work.

Same here. No artist search results for Spotify. Searching for tracks, albums or playlists works, as does artist search for Soundcloud. Sweden. Android S1 app and older Sonos system.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Same issue here, very frustrating. 

It works on ios but not on Android. I've removed the Spotify service and re added it with no change. I've uninstalled then reinstalled the s1 app, again with no change.
Any help/suggestion is much appreciated.

Just for some added input to help with bug tracking- I have the same issue with Spotify search on the S1 app on iOS.

We have a family Spotify account and search works OK if I choose one of the Spotify family accounts other than the main account.

Removing the main Spotify account from the app and adding again does not fix the issue.

Count me in…

Currently having to search for songs by an artist and then go to “Info & Options” > “Artist Info” > “Browse the Artist” to  be able to pull up what should show in a simple “Artist” search.

Also having the same issue, seen on Android S1 and Windows S1 controllers - can search by anything other than artist. FWIW, system is a mix of Play 3, Play 5 and Beam.

I get results with AC/DC and A-ha. Nothing else. Using an S2 system with Mac desktop app. Same on the iOS app with old search.

I went through the entire alphabet, just typing in a single letter.  I got results using the singular letters A C G J K N P Q R S W Z.  The results shown are the single letter followed by an asterisk eg. A* or C* etc.  When selecting the list the result is 1 or 2 random artists and songs that don’t even correspond to the letter used in my search.  

Same problem here. Spotify does not return any results for artist but does work for playlists.

In Sweden, S1 app on Android, Spotify family account with dedicated user for Sonos. 

I too have this issue - it is an epidemic - Covid related LOL!?

Same problem here. Location = Germany.

Artist search in Sonos app doesn’t find any spotify artists.

S1 controller on Android One Plus 10 Pro. Latest Android version.

S1 controller on Mac Book Pro 2022 model.

Currently need to use Spotify’s own app, find an artist, play a song and then connect my phone to a Sonos speaker.

Not ideal. A fix would be nice :-)

Same for me.  Artist search does not work. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I have this issue as well. No settings have been changed. Sonos - please advise.

Sonos tech team told me there is nothing they can do from their end, they said it was an issue with Spotify. Very annoying. 

Same problem here, for about a week. the Beatles, Joni Mitchell, it doesn’t matter — no results for artist search. 

I have this issue as well. No settings have been changed. Sonos - please advise.

Sonos tech team told me there is nothing they can do from their end, they said it was an issue with Spotify. Very annoying. 

Then they should reach out to Spotify for support. There’s definitely something they can do… 😠

Seems to be related to special characters. Can only return artists that have special characters in their name, only when there are no spaces, i.e:

AC/DC

A-Ha

P!nk

M.I.A

K$sha

But not:

Wu-Tang Clan

Jean-Michel Jarre

Dr. Dre

Panic! At the Disco

A$AP Rocky

You also need to search the full name, i.e. AC/D returns nothing, but AC/DC returns the result.

I have also had the same problem for approaching 2 weeks and having tested the last post im getting the exact same results where there are special characters and no spaces. Sonos S1 UK

I’ve just noticed that the S2 app has changed. There is now a choice of ‘Classic Search’ and ‘NewSearch’. Spotify doesn’t seem to work on ‘Classic’ but it works perfectly on ‘New’. I suggest just switching to the ‘New Search’ mode.

Same problem here. For about a week now. Hopefully someone at SONOS or Spotify can solve the problem. I can’t even report it to customer support (both the phone number and live chat are closed in Sweden), so I hope one more reply in this thread helps to raise the issue.