Skip to main content
Answered

Spotify App and Sonos App

• 13 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Pretty simple setup, single WLAN ESSID/SSID that connects all my home devices, Mac’s, Apple-TV, iPhone, Cameras etc. and my Sonos-Roam and my two Sonos-ERA-100’s.

Spotify on my Mac/iPhone can see and instantly play music to any of my Sonos devices, it’s seamless….. my Sonos app however on my Mac or iPhone has constant difficulty in ‘seeing’ both devices, it’s one or the other.

Additionally, just my base MacBook when ‘looking’ for speakers with AirPlay easily finds any Sonos device and can stream music.

Any thoughts or ideas please….

Yes, I have latest version of Sonos App on my iPhone/Mac.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

More details of your network please, especially the router type, and how your Sonos devices are connected to your network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

By the way the Spotify app can get the list of Sonos devices from the Sonos cloud service, which is why it can work even when you are on a different network.

The Sonos app gets its device list from your actual local network, which appears to be challenged for some reason.

Absolutely, thanks for your quick reply to try and help……

So my network, is enterprise grade Aruba AP’s {I work @ Aruba btw}, there is no router involved as this is a L2 network using mDNS Bonjour aka AIrPlay to communicate between iPhone/MAC and Roam /ERA products.

Everything is wireless connected in respect of …. speakers/macbook/iPhone

To your comment about querying the Sonos cloud-service…. i get the feel that this is not working/enabled for me… I’ve tried add a product in the app but it can’t find the ‘other’ sonos product.

HTH

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

On your last remark. Not sure if this is applicable or not, but some people choose to set up a new system when they should have chosen to ad a speaker to an existing system. By doing this they end up with two Sonos “households” that do not acknowledge eachother.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

All Sonos devices (and your phone) need to be on the same subnet and need to be able to broadcast and multicast freely between each other, for Discovery to work via mDNS and SSDP. UPnP eventing between devices also needs to be permitted.

(Well you must have a router somewhere, something has to pass those packets between devices :-)

I’ll let you take the network traces and figure out where the problem is…

The router is not involved, this is a L2 single broadcast BSSID/SSID domain across my ap-mesh that my devices are connect to, unicast, multicast, broadcast are able to communicate everywhere, there is no multicast/broadcast suppression enabled, the ONLY time the router is involved is when I need to communicate to the DOCSIS for internet access OR I need to talk to my home-network-dmz which houses some work related equipment.

How do I know this, because I can roam around my house anywhere and my iPhone/macbook can always see the roam and era devices, and stream to them from spotify or in case of the macbook I can select airplay discovered devices separately and stream that way, this mDNS/Bonjour are all working satisfactorily.

Is is possible that the Sonos App is using some proprietary protocol, it’s working as I said and I can stream to devices from it, I just can’t see the ROAM and ERA at the same time.

@106ralle - How could I tell if I’ve made the mistake you highlight here, this does sound liek it could be my use-case?

@106rallye - I just logged into my sonos.com account and see all three devices listed, so guessing I’m OK on that front.