Answered

Spotify album artwork is distorted

• 15 October 2022
  • 64 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Diagnostic 1602233776

All of my Spotify artwork accessed from Sonos Playlists are distorted, or pixelated. When I browse and search for the same album that same album artwork looks fine, then that album artwork on my Sonos Playlists fixes itself. It’s almost like the Spotify Album artwork cached itself using much smaller images. Then when I access those albums manually it corrects itself. I have thousands of Spotify songs on Sonos Playlists so searching for every one is not reasonable. I have rebooted all my Sonos speakers, reauthorized my Spotify account and even removed the Spotify account then re-added it, but nothing has worked. Please help. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 October 2022, 12:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hopefully, you’ve contacted Spotify and expressed your displeasure. Sonos is the TV set in this case, and has no control over the signal being sent to it. 

Yes Sonos is the TV set in this case, but the majority of Sonos success is dependent on the user experience of third party music providers. Nobody would buy TV sets if everything you watched on them was terrible. There’s a mutual financial benefit for both of them to deliver quality products. When one fails, the other is affected. 

Interesting viewpoint. When my cable goes out, I will start complaining to Vizio.

Since there is a mutual benefit, of course. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Interesting viewpoint. When my cable goes out, I will start complaining to Vizio.

Since there is a mutual benefit, of course. 

Hahaha, sorry Airgetlam, I didn’t mean to sound sarcastic or confrontational. I agree with your point. I’m just saying that Sonos is better off when their music service providers are functioning, so hopefully they do actually reach out to them directly. 

Also it’s only an art display issue for one of the very many MSP’s that the Sonos system supports. That’s like one TV channel, out of dozens, having a VHS video quality display. 

This is a Spotify issue (clearly) and Sonos have asked them to fix it - IMV it’s a case of waiting patiently until Spotify direct their own resources to resolve the matter and that’s why any Spotify customers seeing this problem should be encouraged to report the matter to Spotify (and Sonos too, I guess) - Spotify will then (hopefully) begin to see their own customers would like the matter fixed. 

The more customer complaints about the album art, the more likely it will receive Spotifys attention sooner, rather than later. 

There is probably not much more Sonos can do about the matter, as the message has been passed and no one should want to shoot the messenger.

I’m not a Spotify customer, but if I was …and had already reported it to their Customer Support and maybe posted about it on their forum, I would just wait patiently. Undoubtedly it will get fixed, but the fact music can still be played on all Sonos devices, ‘might’ mean that the issue is unlikely going to be on anyones urgent priority-fix list.

The music still goes on after-all.

I’ve got the same issue. In addition, I’ve noticed last week during playing explicit songs the explicit words were muted during playback, now you cannot play explicit songs from, for example, Taylor Swifts newest album.

now I see today it’s been changed/recitified?
and you cannot change the parental control on this as SONOS only supports this action on Apple Music/YouTube Music and Amazon US music ??

SONOS said it was a Spotify issue 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Just reporting that I experience the same isse with Spotify on my SONOS.

Made a post on Sonos Community, please upvote Sonos Spotify users!

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-for-Developers/Spotify-coverart-is-low-quality-and-pixelated-on-Sonos/m-p/5448431#M6802

Also like my tweet:

https://twitter.com/CARUS_AR/status/1584084900969598976?t=zhWIfeGbwF88xo6SigOIHA&s=19

What is strange:

If I stream to Sonos from the Spotify app, the artwork is sharp.

Streamed from the Sonos app:

Streamed from the Spotify app:

As I’ve said several times, the source server for Sonos, and hence the art,  is different than the source server for Spotify’s own app. 

I’m not sure. Audio streams CAN contain artwork within the stream. Hence without the need for an additional server.

I’m not sure. Audio streams CAN contain artwork within the stream. Hence without the need for an additional server.

Different APIs. Spotify and the other music services are making use of this API to integrate with Sonos.

Interesting, thank you. The 90-ies have called and want their SOAP back :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That is NOT how the Sonos apps get their artwork.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So all of my Spotify album artwork is now displaying perfect today. Not sure if they fixed it but it’s been working for me for a few hours. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All,

We now consider this issue to have been resolved by Spotify.