Skip to main content

Speculation: Why Doesn't Sonos Roll Back to The Previous App Before May, 2024

The following is not intended as an exoneration of Sonos. However I know some will take it as such. That being said let’s begin….

People in this Community are questioning why Sonos doesn’t roll back to the app version prior to this new release. There is a plausible reason why that may not be possible. One of the two may shock you. However if it was the execution used to launch the app update...right or wrong “it is what is.”

There are two ways to execute (push out) an update:

• COMMIT
  • ROLLBACK Contingency Plan

COMMIT means exactly what you are probably thinking that when executed there is no going back. Of course, its execution typically means a high level of confidence and/or that any bug (for lack of a better term) can be fixed over an acceptable time frame. 

The time frame to correct the issues may not be inline with customer expectations; but information is published (when needed) to outline the time-to-resolution for clients. Companies will weigh the bottom-line affects and deem them acceptable. 

Auto manufacturers for example have produced cars that have a failure rate for a certain component.  However, they deem the cost of a re-call too expensive/disruptive and will handle each failure via warranty. Hopefully not at the cost of lives

ROLLBACK Contingency Plan is quite self-explanatory as well meaning that if the push-out is faulty it can be rolled back to the previous version. However, executing a roll-back could have detrimental effects upon newly released products and/or products/features already in the pipeline. Thus making a rollback contingency plan unpalatable. Use your own imagination to discern what Sonos product(s) might be affected by this scenario.

Apple for example frowns upon rollbacks of its software but it’s not entirely impossible; if you are willing to take the risk. If you upgrade to a new iOS then realize you prefer the previous version, you can possibly go back to an older version of iOS. However, the downgrade process is complicated, with multiple steps, strict parameters, and potential pitfalls such as bugs and security fixes no longer being available. FYI, restoring an iPhone from a backup is not the same as a downgrade.

Below is a brief description of Commit vs Rollback. The complete article can be found in this link

Getting back to Sonos. I don’t know what their thought process was or under which of the two parameters they implemented the app update release. If I were to guess I’d say COMMIT; but that’s pure speculation.

What I can say is the app is stable for me and others who have posted. Constantly blaming the app for everything is not productive and won’t help with your frustration. You have to be willing to go the extra mile and look elsewhere. That may take the form of:

• Running a system diagnostic and contact Sonos Tech Support *
  • Seeking advice in the Community
  • Updating device software 
  • Updating router firmware
  • Setting static IP Addresses for Sonos components 
  • Changing WiFI Protected Access levels
  • Changing network configurations that are known to cause Sonos problems

Take this information for what it’s worth. If it helps fine. If not…then continue down your own path.

Good Luck!

* I realize there are longer than normal waits. I waited 30 minutes and didn’t like it…but I was able to resolve my issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

That doesn’t address the current situation. We’re not talking about a complete release roll-back here. Nobody is asking Sonos to abandon the 80.x series release.

What we have been asking for is the ability to run either 16.1 or 80.x, until such time as 80.x is demonstrably working. It would mean that an individual could choose to roll back to the older version, but without any change to the overall plan for the new version.

We know that it is technically possible, because some of us have done just that. But we have to jump through hoops to do it.

That doesn’t address the current situation. We’re not talking about a complete release roll-back here. Nobody is asking Sonos to abandon the 80.x series release.

What we have been asking for is the ability to run either 16.1 or 80.x, until such time as 80.x is demonstrably working. It would mean that an individual could choose to roll back to the older version, but without any change to the overall plan for the new version.

We know that it is technically possible, because some of us have done just that. But we have to jump through hoops to do it.

You must be in a different community because there are plenty of members clamoring for a rollback using that exact terminology. I know I’m not imagining those requests. But as I said at the end…continue down your path.

If I understand you correctly you’re suggesting Sonos put two choices into the App Stores for iOs and Android.

• Click here for 16.1 or here for 80.x and BTW picking the latter may be cause problems for some.

Assuming 16.1 was offered again...you would have to “Rollback” the changes made by the 80.x update or factory reset your entire Sonos and setup a new system using 16.1. Or as you said “jump” through hoops! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Or do what I did and turn off auto updates and continue on using the 16.1 app and firmware 

I have no intention of buying new hardware so may 7th update came and went with no issues for me worst I have had is a reminder to update now and again 

so I will stay on 16.1 for the foreseeable future 

It’s a good thing you didn’t intend to exonerate Sonos cause all you did is write a bunch of words that don’t really mean or prove anything other than Sonos gives zero Fs about current customers.

100% Roll back is the wrong term. 16.1 still works fine. There’s little effort for Sonos, they just need to make it available like they do with the desktop app. People who bought headphones or are special like OP can keep going. Whenever Sonos fixes their mess people can move back. Easy.

100% Roll back is the wrong term. 16.1 still works fine. There’s little effort for Sonos, they just need to make it available like they do with the desktop app. People who bought headphones or are special like OP can keep going. Whenever Sonos fixes their mess people can move back. Easy.

There’s a huge difference between making Web based changes and OS/hardware changes. The latter is not easily done. Oh..but you probably say you’ve done so with ease. 

So, continue down your path!

16.1 still works for those who have it installed.

It’s a good thing you didn’t intend to exonerate Sonos cause all you did is write a bunch of words that don’t really mean or prove anything other than Sonos gives zero Fs about current customers.

It was intended to prove or disprove just provide information. It’s not my problem that you have comprehension issues. 

It was intended to prove or disprove just provide information. It’s not my problem that you have comprehension issues. 

You failed to provide accurate information for the context. 80.x is a complete rewrite. See First paragraph of Antifon’s post specifically.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

It’s not my problem that you have comprehension issues. 

It’s not really a matter of comprehension.

You’ve already accepted (in your thread title) that you are simply guessing. Some of us think that your guesses are wrong in this specific situation.

I would be (fairly) happy to be told by Sonos that they will support parallel running of 16.1 and 80.x for only a limited period of time, after which they would cease to support 16.1. That would mean that 16.1 could place constraints on firmware updates for only a limited period of time.

But we are not being given that option.

You failed to provide accurate information for the context. 80.x is a complete rewrite. See First paragraph of Antifon’s post specifically.

@Bumper

Do you actually read anything or just Willy Nilly make erroneous comments. I didn’t have to provide information regarding anything. It was @Antifon who broached the subject of 80.x.

You and @Antifon need to start reading more carefully and be mindful of what you write in your comments. Since you and @Antifon are of the same mind why don’t you both get together and draft/write a letter to Sonos.

Posting in this community is getting you zero results. Maybe you and @Antifon as well as others who continually complain in this forum refuse to accept that reality. Wake up!!!

Edit: The complaining going on in this community is no different than a restaurant customer complaining to another customer about the food. The complaints need to be addressed to management or the Chef. In this case the Chef being Sonos and not the customers in this community.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

As I said - you started your post with the word “speculation”. You’re just guessing.

In your original post you used the words “when executed there is no going back”. I read those words carefully, and I am mindful of the fact that the statement is wrong in this case.

We know it’s wrong because some of us are still using 16.1. It still works.

So the whole basis of your original post is flawed.

As I said - you started your post with the word “speculation”. You’re just guessing.

In your original post you used the words “when executed there is no going back”. I read those words carefully, and I am mindful of the fact that the statement is wrong in this case.

We know it’s wrong because some of us are still using 16.1. It still works.

So the whole basis of your original post is flawed.

@Antifon

YOU JUST DON’T COMPREHEND...DO YOU!!!!

YOU (AND OTHERS LIKE YOU) ARE SO CONSUMED WITH YOUR OWN FRUSTRATION AND/OR HATE TOWARD SONOS THAT YOU ARE OBLIVIOUS TO ANY OTHER THOUGHTS OF REASON. 

MY POST SAID NOTHING ABOUT 16.1 NOT WORKING IF YOU ARE STILL USING IT WHICH MEANS THE UPDATE WAS NEVER TAKEN BY THE USER!!!

MY POST WAS ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF ROLLING BACK TO A PREVIOUS VERSION PRIOR TO MAY, 2024 DEPENDING UPON HOW THE NEW APP WAS IMPLEMENTED BY SONOS

SONOS STATED THE NEW APP WAS BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP WHICH COULD MEAN THAT NO ROLLBACK PROVISIONS WERE BUILT-IN!!!

I’M NOT GOING TO RESPOND TO ANY MORE OF YOUR  NONSENSE ON THIS SUBJECT.!!!

SO JUST CONTINUE TO WALLOW IN YOUR ON FRUSTRATION AND INABILITY TO UNDERSTAND DIFFERENT VIEW POINTS AND/OR POSSIBILITIES!!!

BTW...I KNOW HOW I STARTED THE POST. IT WAS DONE SO FOR INDIVIDUALS LIKE YOU WHO TRY TO TWIST EVERYTHING TO FIT THIER OWM AGENDA!!!

YES...EVERYTHING IS HERE IS WRITTEN IN CAPS AND I KNOW WHAT THAT SIGNIFIES...DO YOU???

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hehe - Caps Lock. You have the power of Capital Letters on your side.

But you are wrong if you think that in my case “the update was never taken by the user”. I got the update forced on me, like so many other users. It didn’t work, so I spent an unnecessary couple of hours finding out how to revert my system back to 16.1. It now works again, exactly as it did before.

There is no reason why any user cannot do what I have done. Oh wait, there is: Sonos don’t make it possible to download the old version of the app any more, so people like me have to jump through hoops to do it.

Now… what’s my agenda? I want Sonos management to notice that lots and lots of people are having this problem, and do something about it. What is most likely to make that happen? A nice little letter to the CEO of Sonos, which will get a template reply from the Assistant to the CEO’s Secretary and will then be filed under “T” (for Trash)? Or a post on here where prospective Sonos buyers might see it?

Correct choice: here is better than anywhere else. I can say with certainty that it will be more effective here than “writing a letter to Sonos”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey fam, let’s let it go. The world is full of people I disagree with—and some I even find objectioanabke—and life is too short to argue with them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Yeah, I know - I can’t help being objectionable at times.

But what I’m trying to point out is that what we are asking for would not actually be very difficult, and would have the significant advantage that it offers people like me a way forward other than isolation from the Sonos upgrade program.

I don’t want my system to be isolated, but the current Sonos plan leaves me little alternative.

@Kumar @Bumper @Antifon 

Ooooooh, you guys really crack me up! Please continue down your paths. Nothings going to change no matter how hard you try to be influencers for negativity. You can be objectionable to your hearts content. By all means keep it up! If your goal is to put Sonos out of business…remember you lose too. You’ll be stuck with a bunch of paper weights as will all. BTW…you can’t sue a company with zero assets. So much for the class action nonsense. So, what’s your next move or moves as you seem to be in lock-step. Bring it on babies! I’m waiting with bated breath! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi all

I don’t see this thread going anywhere constructive anytime soon, so I am closing it to further discourse.