Speakers disappear from app but only when wired

• 5 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi, I have always used a BOOST, but recently I moved my Port closer to the router and connected it by ethernet for the first time.  Since I did this, a few times per week speakers will disappear from the app (1 or more at a time, including the wired Port but also Play:5, 2x Play:1, and One).  Sometimes 1 speaker disappears at a time and sometimes more than 1.  Restarting the speaker and/or router usually solves the problem.  This has *never* happened before in many years of using all these speakers.

Router is using channel 1 and SonosNet is using Channel 11.  All Sonos products have reserved IP addresses.

I would prefer to keep the Port wired instead of going back to wireless, so I appreciate any input.  I am also wondering if I should not have 2 products wired to the same router.  And finally, despite reading several posts about it on this forum, I am not clear whether the wired Port should have Wi-Fi enabled or disabled (it is enabled now, disabling it caused worse performance).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Keep Wi-Fi enabled on all of your Sonos devices regardless if they are wired to the router.

If you disconnect the ethernet cable from the Port and keep it wireless, do you experience the same problems?

If wiring the Port is causing problems, why do you want to keep it wired?

Since you want to keep the Port wired, have you tried disconnecting the Boost since it really isn’t necessary anymore?

Badge

I have disconnected the cable from the Port, but probably not for long enough to know if it makes a difference since the dropouts only happen once or twice per week.  I have certainly considered keeping the Port wireless, but this seemed like such an unexpected symptom that I thought I would troubleshoot it before giving up.