Skip to main content
Answered

Speakers connect to network but will not register

Recently moved so setting up Sonos on new network.  Some of our speakers (Beam, Move) we added with no issues.  All our other speakers (another Beam, 5’s, 1’a, subwoofer) have been added to our network successfully.  I can see them in the Sonos iPhone app - they show as  “not registered”.  They will not register with Sonos and I get the error message “There was a problem adding your Sonos 5 to your system. Try again later.” . 

Any suggestions beyond resetting everything to factory settings or unplugging my router (all have been done several times with no success). appreciated. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have the same problem but it has started after the Sonos app had been updated. My Ikea Symfonisk works well but One SL had disappeared from the system. I have tried several times unplugging, resetting, going through the registration but even if it is visible in Settings, there is a note that it is not registered. 

Probably I will have to set up the new system from the beginning. But will it help?

WOW - thanks a lot!  It worked. Certainly not an obvious fix and NOTHING from Sonos on how to fix.  You saved me 65+ minutes sitting on hold waiting for a support call. :) 

I have the same problem but it has started after the Sonos app had been updated. My Ikea Symfonisk works well but One SL had disappeared from the system. I have tried several times unplugging, resetting, going through the registration but even if it is visible in Settings, there is a note that it is not registered. 

Probably I will have to set up the new system from the beginning. But will it help?

I had the same thing happen, with a Play 3. I factory reset it but Sonos couldn’t link it back to my account. I had to go into Settings > Manage > Transfer Ownership and then transfer the system back to myself as Jon_R suggested. Not intuitive at all, but it works and fixed everything.

Userlevel 1

I proceeded to Transfer Ownership but when I did that my Sonos One, which was “not registered” and not part of my system, instantly became part of my system. Do not understand why ---but I never had to actually  “transfer ownership” I just started that process and my Sonos One automatically registered and became part of my system. 

No need to set up from the beginning thanks to Jon :) His solution works perfectly well. After transferring the account all speakers visible, registered and playing. Thanks, Jon!

Thanks!!! It Worked, just transferring the ownership to my self 

I bought my second symfonisk table lamp but couldn’t add it to my system. It just couldn’t be updated through Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable during installation, therefore it's not registered, end up not working! Can Sonos just let us add it to our system and play with it first, I am sure it needs to be updated in the future anyway. I spent 2 days on this, I am thinking it is time to let go.

I bought my second symfonisk table lamp but couldn’t add it to my system. It just couldn’t be updated through Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable during installation, therefore it's not registered, end up not working! Can Sonos just let us add it to our system and play with it first, I am sure it needs to be updated in the future anyway. I spent 2 days on this, I am thinking it is time to let go.

Sonos users have found a workaround where you use the desktop app to update the speaker. The new app seems to have a bug. See attached pics for the basic procedure 

Thanks! I set up my stereo system finally.