Skip to main content
Answered

Speaker Order S1

• 26 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello

My question is:

What determines the order in which the speakers appear after I group them? 

I have 6 connects with 4 speakers so 24 speakers total. So in the room called kitchen I have 4 speakers in the room called bedroom I have 4 speakers etc. 6 rooms x 4 speakers... When I start with kitchen, then add bedroom, then living room the sonos S1 app ignores the order I choose them in. So when I go to adjust the volume the kitchen will appear towards the middle of the speaker order even though I want it to appear first. Meanwhile the office will be at the top of the order even though I want it to appear last, (for example.) 

I have tried alphabetical order, numerical order, rebooting each device in the order I want them in, asking s1 to please respect the order I choose, moving the connect boxes from one amp to another, bringing them closer and further from the router, using optical cables on some of them and not others, I cannot figure out how S1 determines the order except -I know that the 1 connect hardwired to the eero will always appear first -and is the one that I then add all the other rooms to.

What this means is my kitchen control slider is right above my bedroom control slider (for example) but they are on different floors while my office slider is below the living room slider (for example) So if I want to stop the music on a floor I have to look on the list for all the rooms instead of knowing where they should be.

Please help, it sounds stupid but if I want to quickly change the volume or mute the music I have to look for the room in the list and the list is longer than the window it appears in -so I also have to scroll and it takes 3x as long, 15 times a day at least!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Well a little play with my system seems to always result in alphabetical order. No matter what I did the first device I choose comes top of the list, which I guess is no surprise as it is the group controller, then as I add others they get displayed in alphabetical order. At least there is a simple logic to this and is probably what I want.

The interesting bit to me, which needs a bit more investigation and a sheet of paper is that Sonos seems to know the order devices were selected in. If you ungroup the controller then the second selected device takes over not the first one in the list.

Badge

OMG 

That's it!!!

Thank you very much I tried alphabetical but didn't notice it only applies starting from the 2nd room. I'm embarrassed to tell you how many hours I spent looking for a physical solution now all I have to do is rename them in the order I choose that's wonderful!!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The first one in a group is always the Coordinator, the rest are then alphabetical.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I found alphabetical aggravating as my most commonly used rooms were scattered on the list.

Now I have my Rooms as: 1. Chair, 2. Kitchen, 3. Bathroom, 4. Computer, so they are on-screen when I open my Rooms page, then the rest that are used less often. No more scrolling.