SoundCloud outage

• 19 August 2023
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Sonos is displaying that SoundCloud has partial outage therefore not available on Sonos at the moment.  Go to SounClouds help center and it says fully operational. I think it’s Sonos that has the issue. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Note that SoundCloud, along with most every other streamer,  maintains separate servers with the SMAPI installed, to service the Sonos users separately. So, while their own service, via their own apps, may not be impacted, it’s not necessarily true that the same condition applies to the server that services Sonos users. 

Is this not fixed yet…? So frustrating!

Full disclosure: I’m not a SoundCloud user. Would it be possible to use the SoundCloud App and AirPlay? Of course, this assumes that you have an Apple device and AirPlay capable SONOS player.

I’m playing my SoundCloud through Sonos via Sonos roam at the moment…wondered what the problem is tbh!

I also have this issue suddenly, also removed the soundcloud service but still appears 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sane issue here, although I'm on Android. Can't browse SoundCloud through Sonos app anymore 

I just contact Sonos support for an update via live chat, and “The update is that it is still ongoing. [...] Otherwise we do not have an ETA at this time.”

Hugely frustrating, as SoundCloud is pretty much my only means for streaming music to my Sonos devices.  Can’t listen to tunes while I work, or listen to tunes while I work out.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Very frustrating indeed, it's four days now …

Luckily I also use Mixcloud and that works as expected 

I have a Sonos Roam, which being Bluetooth, can link up with my phone. I can then add my sonos  speakers to play music from the SoundCloud App…it’s a bit of a pain but it works.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I can imagine bluetooth works, you don’t use the Sonos app for that.

Any response from sonos team about it ? 
its so unprofessional , some people use only soundcloud , why they always release update that only make everything wors , like the no volium or lockscreen control in last update ,  seems like every update they are going back 

Any response from sonos team about it ? 
its so unprofessional , some people use only soundcloud , why they always release update that only make everything wors , like the no volium or lockscreen control in last update ,  seems like every update they are going back 

Why is it unprofessional?  What sort of update do you want from Sonos?  Sonos uses an open API for music services, the same for every service.  So if other services are working fine, it’s very likely the issue is on the Soundcloud side of things.  Would it be professional of Sonos to say that Soundcloud hasn’t got it fixed yet, and appear to be throwing Soundcloud ‘under the bus’, or is it more professional to say as little as possible?  

Unfortunately, Sonos is a heavily integrated product.  Whether that is music services, OS functions, etc, Sonos does not have much control over what other companies do.  It may appear to consumers that Sonos can force music services to integrate properly, or the OS to maintain features Sonos utilizes, but that is not the case.   That’s not to say that Sonos doesn’t have their own bugs and issues to solve, as they absolutely do.

I’m having the same problem, but the Soundcloud website desktop works.

As a customer service SONOS wants to be able to offer as many music services as possible to SONOS users. SONOS publishes a free to use music service API. After verification, any service using the API can be added to the list of available services. This is why SONOS offers access to many dozens of services vs a small handful for similar products. Since SONOS is not receiving any income from these services, SONOS cannot afford to offer detailed support to each service. A service must develop and support its end of the API.

Many services offer their own App that plays music on a phone/pad/computer. These Apps are not part of the SONOS ecosystem and the App cannot participate in SONOS Groups, the SONOS Queue​, or SONOS Playlists. Essentially, the service must develop an additional path for their music that can satisfy the SONOS API requirements. Bugs or outages in the service’s use of the API must be resolved by the service.

This opens the door for SONOS customer annoyance when the path between the service and the SONOS API is broken, but the path through the service’s own App is still functional.

I’ll note that a quick, temporary workaround if a service’s SONOS API connection is struggling might be to use the service’s own App, along with a Bluetooth or AirPlay connection to the SONOS system.

Service seems fully restored today.  Frustratingly long outage, but nice to have my tunes back playing again.

Yes…back now..all good!

Hello Community,

I believe this happened again.

Last two days no SoundCloud on Sonos (in UK). Very frustrating.